Hop Bursting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
So a couple weeks ago I brewed my first attempt at a hopburst IPA. Essentially I did two ounces each of cascade, centennial and chinook over the last 25 minutes of the boil.

Should I dry hop before bottling?

I would love to hear from people who have hopbursted with and without dry hopping.

I like to add 2-3 0z of finishing hops at the very end of the boil, right after I shut off the flame. I get so much hop flavor and aroma this way that I never bother with the messy hassle of dry hopping anymore.

How fast did you chill after adding the last additions? If you added at flame-out but it took you 10 minutes to even start making a dent in the temp, then you are going to get a different result than someone who is able to chill to 60 degrees in 10 minutes (just for the sake of comparison).

I figure dry hopping ain't gonna hurt it since fermentation may drive off some of the aroma you were trying to generate in the first place with all the late additions.

+1 to beerbeque and randar.

The whole point of hop bursting (in my opinion) is getting all of the oily hops flavors with less hassle. If you're like me and just like to go over the top sometimes, dry hopping can be fun. But I really don't think it would add a whole lot.

I've done it both ways but I prefer to dry hop them also. Hop bursting and dry hopping are two different things so they impart different flavors. I just brewed a pale ale using about five pounds of grains, I wanted a lower alcohol session beer with a lot of flavor, so I hop bursted, and dry hopped. It came out fantastic. I would dry hop it myself.

To me there is a distinct quantitative difference between late hops and dry hops. I always do a dry hop for hoppy beers.

Latest posts

Back