Hop Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottishPete

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does this piece of equipment have a name other than "hop bag"? Where can I buy one? Would you use this with pellets, or just loose leaf?

hop_bag%20003.jpg

I think we here call this the hop spider. It's made with a paint strainer bag, pvc coupling and some steel rods. All available at your local HD, Lowes, etc.

You don't (necessarily). You can buy new ones for a couple bucks each or so ...

-BigCask

Iwash mine in the laundry they come out fine.

Yep, I turn mine inside out after the brew and rinse everything out. I then throw it in the laundry and wash it with the whites! They do discolor over time but I keep using them until they deteriorate and then replace. No issues so far.

I have been wanting to make one of these since I went all grain. What about when adding your chiller at 15min. Do you take this out and add it again after putting the chiller in? I guess so, but I think it would make a mess.

I have been wanting to make one of these since I went all grain. What about when adding your chiller at 15min. Do you take this out and add it again after putting the chiller in? I guess so, but I think it would make a mess.

Someone else might have to speak to that. I don't add my wort chiller at 15 min. I clean and sanitize mine in lieu of doing so. I would imagine you are right, but I am so set in my method I don't think about it.

Someone else might have to speak to that. I don't add my wort chiller at 15 min. I clean and sanitize mine in lieu of doing so. I would imagine you are right, but I am so set in my method I don't think about it.

Maybe I'll start doing that.

Its a quick, easy maneuver. The weight of the hop mass will stretch out the bag, lift it up, pop it into the IC, both back into the kettle at one shot: painless.

I have seen threads discussing a decrease in hop utilization, but I can't speak to that.

I built one (similar) using instructions from YouTube (Homebrew58). When it's time for the wort chiller, I just pull out the hop bag, drop in the chiller, and drop the hop bag back in. My wort chiller does not extend above the rim of my pot.

Back