Hop back/hop filter idea. Your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisk916

Reaction score
I've recently started upgrading the brewery, including a large plate chiller. I usually always use whole cone hops, but occasionally need to use pellets. My current kettle hop-stopper has large 1/4 inch holes, and stops most of it, but After seeing some horror stories of clogs, I thought of an easy filter idea that can be utilized as a hop back as well.
The plan is to grab a paint brush washer, and add weldless fittings to the center of lid, and bottom. I have found these for $20-$70 in various sizes from 8oz to 24oz. (I plan on a large one) They come with a removable basket, and many have a silicone seal. Since they are meant to be used with solvent, I would assume they seal well with the three latches.
I could fill the basket with stainless scrubbies to filter, or add another perforated screen with smaller holes to use as a hop back. I figure it should seal well enough to be used with my march pump, or possibly gravity feed. What 'cha think? Viable idea?

1406532500669.jpg

Guess it's a bad idea. Oh well. I'll source one next payday and build anyway. I'll post pics and progress.

I use a rolled up 300 micron SS screen inside of a under-sink polycarbonate water filter housing. Cost about $50 for everything and works perfectly.

My main concern would be that I doubt they use stainless on paint brush washers. You don't want to have to deal with zinc, heavy metals, or other non food-safe additives in there.

Most all spec with stainless. Some are chrome plated, but it will be stainless for sure when I get one.

OK. I ordered my fittings and brush washer. Hopefully all parts will be in next week. I'll post info after build.

Ok. Build went fine, but I came to the realization my step-bits need to be replaced. I still want to find a perforated steel false bottom for it though. The included basket is rather shallow, but should work fine to catch larger chunks.

Back