Hooray!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieG

Reaction score
On Satuday afternoon, I started my very first home brew. I got all my ingredents for a malt extract IPA, then gathered my kettle, propane tank, burner, and instructions. I followed the instructions to a "T". The brewing part went perfect, no boil overs and no burnt extract. Cooled the wort down mixed with cold water, pitched my yeast, put the air lock on my carboy and set in the basement. Almost like "Set it and forget it". This morning, almost like a child on christmas day, I creeped down to the basement and peered behind the door and.... EUREKA!!! I have bubbles! Just thought I would share.

Now you're doomed to become an airlock fanatic. In no time at all you'll be sniffing the thing!;)

( It's OK, you're surrounded by 'em here, feel right at home)

Congratulations, and if you're excited now, just wait until you crack open your first bottle!

:ban:

A funny thing just happened. I was thinking of moving my primary full of what will be maple porter to a cooler location (it's been at 66-72 for a week) because my airlock has not bubbled in 2 days. So I did an experiment. I gently swirled the bucket around (with the lid still on) to get everything riled up and turned over, and...holy sh*t! the airlock has come back to life. I think I'll leave it for a few more days, swirl it again, and when it settles I'll take a SG. Ahh, the virtue of patience.:rolleyes:

A funny thing just happened. I was thinking of moving my primary full of what will be maple porter to a cooler location (it's been at 66-72 for a week) because my airlock has not bubbled in 2 days. So I did an experiment. I gently swirled the bucket around (with the lid still on) to get everything riled up and turned over, and...holy sh*t! the airlock has come back to life. I think I'll leave it for a few more days, swirl it again, and when it settles I'll take a SG. Ahh, the virtue of patience.:rolleyes:

I did that with my first brew, the one I mentioned being so good in another thread, after what I, at the time, assumed to be a very slow start to my fermentation. I have since learned that airlock activity isn't the only indication of fermentation, so I probably won't be doing that again. Either way, it at least didn't seem to do any harm. Good luck with your brew.

-AJ

Oh I can't wait to crack the first bottle... I think I might have to watch the bottle get cold! Next up an Oktoberfest this coming weekend!

Back