Hooked Noob - Equipment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavball6

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a totally hooked noob who is already thinking about the next progression of this addiction.

I currently have been doing extract w/grains in a 6 gallon kettle (starting with about 4.5 gallons and topping off after losing about 3/4 gallon during the boil).

I want to start moving toward partial and AG brewing (probably stovetop first using Deathbrewer's method). So, I would like to get another larger kettle to start with and know that I should go big enough for full boils on a turkey fryer)

Here is my question. How big a kettle should I get not knowing exactly where I am going next. There seems to be a consensus around "I wish I went bigger originally", but I am looking for what that size typically ease.

My gut tells me that I will stay on the stove for a little while longer, so the pot should fit on that. Then I will probably still stovetop mash, but do full boils outside. Then I will probably DIY a 10 gallon cooler for mashing and still boil outside.

With all that in mind, what do you think is the right size pot to buy to supplement my 6 gallon one? Also, I don't think I will have the need to go about 5-6 gallon batches.

THANKS!

I'd say 15 gallon, that way down the road if you wanted to do a 10 gallon batch you could. Though I doubt a 15 gal pot would fit on the stove.....mine didn't. I just use my turkey fryer burner out in the garage now....

You should be able to find a 10 gallon that will fit on your stove top and you can easily do full boil 5 or 6 gallon batches and it will easily move outdoors when you are ready.

I do agree with Whiteagle that 15 is the best way to go because I have no doubt as some time you will probably want to do 10 gallon batches.

I was going to get a 10 gallon and then after all the research I figured 15 was the way to go but as Whiteagle said i doubt you can find on to fit on the stove.

Good luck!

Turkey fryers are cheap and include a 30 Qt pot. That will do a full 5 gallon boil and I personally dont see myself ever doing bigger than a 5 gallon batch. I just started in December and have managed to accumulate a good bit of the AG stuff already on a budget. Take your time and shop wisely and you can get what you need for a reasonable outlay. If the time comes when a larger pot becomes available for the right money you will already have the burner too. Just the peanut gallery giving their opinion. Hope it helps.
Bob

Leaning towards a 10 gal right now... But, after a week using 10 gal, I will probably want a 15 gal and then a week after that, a 20 gal...

That seems to be the way of it!

I went the turkey fryer route. 6.5 gallons in a 7 gallon pot = boilovers. I scored a couple of 10 gallon pots on Craigslist. Since I like variety, 5 gallon batches are great for me. The 10 gallon pots work great.

Next up is a 2x4 and plywood 3 tier brewstand. I might use cement board to shield the wood from the heat.

Back