Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
I found this and thought it was interesting. They state that boiling honey basically ruins the subtle aroma and body it will impart on the final product due to dextrin destruction or something. Its a little confusing though - it says to add at high krausen diluted then mentions a mash temperature? if beer is at high krausen wouldn't it be in the 40-72 degree range?

HONEY: HEAT TREATMENT

The following method is recommended for pasteurizing honey for homebrewing:

1. Preheat the oven to 176°F.
2. Place the honey in a sanitized oven-proof saucepan.
3. Heat the honey on the stovetop to 176°F. The honey should be stirred occasionally.
4. When the honey reaches 176°F, cover the pan and place it in the oven.
5. The trick for the homebrewer will be maintaining the pasteurization temperature for the required time. Use a thermometer that is reliable, and hold the honey in the oven at 176°F for 2 and 1/2 hours.
6. At the end of the pasteurization process, bring the honey temperature down to the beer temperature by placing it in an ice bath.

HOW TO USE HONEY IN THE HOMEBREWING PROCESS

Honey should be added to the beer at high kraeusen (peak of fermentation activity), diluted (with hot pasteurized water) to the original specific gravity of beer and cooled to the temperature of the fermenting beer. There should be an increase in mash temperature if more honey is being used to compensate for the dilution factor. Brewers should aim for mash temperatures between 155-162°F to promote more dextrins.

NEPABREWER said:
I found this and thought it was interesting. They state that boiling honey basically ruins the subtle aroma and body it will impart on the final product due to dextrin destruction or something. Its a little confusing though - it says to add at high krausen diluted then mentions a mash temperature? if beer is at high krausen wouldn't it be in the 40-72 degree range?

What they mean is that you'll want to mash higher to make your wort a little less fermentable, because the honey is liable to dry your beer out too much.

So - Do I need to worry about mash temps with a mini mash? or is it non issue?
6 lbs amber DME - 1.75 lbs honey - 5 oz light crystal, 8 oz munich, 8 oz wheat
1.5 oz Hallertauer .5 cascade at 30 .5 cascade at 1 minute dry hop with cascade if I feel lucky for a 5.5 - 6 gal batch?

Back