Honey Froze! any problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got some honey this past fall from a friend (4 gallons) and I've used a gallon of it so far. I had the other gallons near an outside wall of the brewery and oops, they got a little frozen. Is this going to change things for me? or do I just warm it back up a bit and use as normal?

In a word, no.

Long answer, you might get some crystallization in the honey, but it shouldn't affect the final product. The yeast will take care of all that.

I am reading The Compleat Meadmaker right now (highly recommended if you dont have it) and he recommends storing honey at 0 F, if you are going for long term storage. So, if it freezes, it shouldnt cause any problems. Just put the containers in warm water, and when you aerate, make sure you mix well.

Also, I got some honey in the mail that was frozen, and the mead has been fine so far. Still aging (only 3 months old), but no noticeable difference

I am reading The Compleat Meadmaker right now (highly recommended if you dont have it) and he recommends storing honey at 0 F, if you are going for long term storage. So, if it freezes, it shouldnt cause any problems. Just put the containers in warm water, and when you aerate, make sure you mix well.

Also, I got some honey in the mail that was frozen, and the mead has been fine so far. Still aging (only 3 months old), but no noticeable difference

Sweet... (pun intended) I do have a copy of that book, I just haven't had much of a chance to read it.

Freezing honey is the best way to preserve it for long periods of time without deterioration of the aroma, flavor and color. I have a few gallons (of some pricey heather honey and meadfoam honey) sitting in my freezer now until I get around to using them. When you want it, just thaw it out.

Back