Honey Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
This will be my first "from scratch" recipe. What do you guys think? Anything glaring need to be changed?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1564529/american-brown-ale-recipes/honey-brown

This is for a 10gal batch, btw.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
80% 20 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
8% 2 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 33 120 ~
8% 2 0 Honey Malt 37 25 ~
4% 1 0 Chocolate Malt (US) 28 350 ~

boil 60 mins 3.0 East Kent Goldings leaf 5.0
boil 30 mins 1.0 East Kent Goldings leaf 5.0

Using S-04 yeast

Sounds pretty tasty, yet nice and simple. I know this is nitpicky, but you're calling it an American Brown Ale, but you're using an English yeast. I would use US-05 to stylistically accurate. But if that's not what you're going for, more power to you to do whatever you want. Good job for a first from scratch recipe.

Thanks for the feedback! I actually couldn't find the style that I was looking for (not sure what style it should fall under). I'm also not the best at sticking to the styles anyway :)

I'll be brewing with a partner on this one, and his half will have a Belgian saison yeast instead. He's weird like that...

I've never used saison yeast, so I don't know how that is going to work out. I don't generally stick to style either, but a lot of people are super anal about sticking to style, so that's what I default to when critiquing a recipe. Good luck with your brew day.

You pretty much got a recipe for a british porter. Your gravity is a bit higher than you would want for comp, but I figured that you knew full well what you were doing.

If you wanted to make it more like a porter Ray daniels mentions that you would want to aim for a IBU:GU ratio of 0.7 to 0.9. You have the grain proportions right, but with a gravity that high your desired ibus would be from 49 to 63 which is way out of style anyway so....

I would either increase the IBUs or lower the gravity. But I would lean towards the gravity cause thats the cheapest thing to do. I guess if you get good attenuation then the hops won't be much of a problem, I would just be worried that it might end up too sweet. I also think you should get rid of the 30 min addition an split that between 15 an flameout.

Oh, an I would reduce the honey an c120 as well. Those are the malts that are going to contribute most of the residual sweetness

dawgmatic said:
Oh, an I would reduce the honey an c120 as well. Those are the malts that are going to contribute most of the residual sweetness

I disagree. For a 10 gal batch, 2 lbs each of crystal and honey malt is not too much, IMHO.

Back