honey as a priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviltrailer77

Reaction score
Ok, so I used the search function, I poured over pages of info and couldn't find what i was looking for.

I spent about an hour or so looking before the ol' ADD kicked in. I found a ton of good info on priming (this should be stickied! lots of good info for n00bs like me, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/), and a bunch of honey porter, pale ale, and other such recipes (that sound lovely). But nothing about what I'm looking for. So if this question has been asked somebody please point me in the right direction, or give me the gouge on this. Because I have access to some top notch pure unfiltered honey and I would like to keep this batch 100% organic. dont ask its a theme...

Thanx EvilT

so what is the question?

all of the obvious ones are addressed in the first 4 threads i found when searching "honey priming"

i wanna say there was a chapter in this book that coverd the use of honey as priming sugar.
51SBD3S9HML._SS500_.jpg

good book

I have primed with honey before, and am reluctant to do it again. Here's why:

Made a honey pale ale months and months ago; primed with honey. Tasted magic, but some bottles were fine; others were nearly bottle bombs. Did it again with an APA a few months ago - they were super overcarbed, to the point where I cracked them, let them foam for 5 mins. and then re-capped them (ghetto . . . I know). Notable improvement.

Honey is listed as less fermentable than, say, dextrose; but (and this could simply be in my deluded mind) I think that since it's a natural product, the amount of CO2 that it produces can be unpredictable. It's not made in a factory or lab like other priming ingredients.

Just my .02. Does add a slightly honey flavour, but can be a bit problematic IMHO.

Also, for a resource on priming, see pg. 111 of How to Brew (2006 edition). Not sure whether it's on the on-line version.

so what is the question?

all of the obvious ones are addressed in the first 4 threads i found when searching "honey priming"

Thanks! I searched "honey priming" and "honey as a priming sugar". Guess i just needed to change my search phraseology. But thanx for not being snide to the guy w/ like 7 posts!:rolleyes:

Honestly, the "search with google" feature here is a bit rough. If I understand it correctly, only paying members have access to the advanced search feature, but I might be mistaken there.

Either way, the search is a little rough around the edges. It takes some time to figure out exactly how to phrase things properly, so if you see a thread you like, bookmark it!

That link I posted above with all the priming sugar amounts is sitting in my "HBT Threads", folder of bookmarks. ;)

But hey, thanx to everybody that answered seriously. Think Im gonna steer clear of it till I have a better handle on the rest of the process.

i'm sure some of the best brewers in the world learn of their mistakes... unless of course u burn ur house down... or poison the neighbors with a bad batch of beer :p
u won't know what u did wrong unless u try.

mabye it's a trick question... some are still not computer savvy i suppose... press and hold the alt button, and press "b".. or ctrl "D"

Back