Honey and beer color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayohuesobrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished kegging 10 gallons of a saison I made a few weeks ago that I added 1.5 lbs of honey at 10 min. The beer came out way darker than I expected. I have been reading but cant seem to find anything on how honey could change the color. Any thoughts on why this beer looks so dark? I would compare color to a Yuengling. Cheers

14 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.4 %
7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 29.2 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 4.2 %

2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 25.0 min
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1 lbs 8.0 oz Honey [Boil for 15 min]
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)

Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565) [35.49 ml]

Mashed at 148

following;

i've also experienced the same issue with using honey while brewing! i think it's just the nature of the beast, and most applications might not take into account the SRM change with honey?

I would guess it's caramelization since honey is all sugar. You can put it in at flameout and that would minimize the color change.

I would guess it's caramelization since honey is all sugar. You can put it in at flameout and that would minimize the color change.

That's typically when i've added mine as well. But still makes sense it's darkening from the carmelization if that process begins around 153F

If sugar begins to caramelize at 153F then clear candi sugar should as well right? But clear candi sugar is said to impart little to no color. I was just hoping for a nice golden saison.

Back