Homemade wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErieShores

Reaction score
I've decided to make my own wort chiller based on this fellas instructioins...
http://www.olderascal.com/brewing/wortchiller/index.html
I went to Home Depot, purchased all of the equipment and began assembling the chiller. I noticed that ofter working with the copper, my hands were full of a foul metallic smell. I'm concerned that this with contaminate my wort or give it a metallic smell/taste. Anyone else have any problems with this?

I am no metal expert, but it probably needs to be passivated in some boiling water.

No I have never noticed a metallic taste, I have used my copper immersion chiller on 15 batches or so and have had no negative results.

There are varying opinions on cleaning your chiller. Once I completed my build I scrubbed with soap and water, then purchased 5 gallons of vinegar from Sam's and soak it for few hours. I keep the vinegar in an old fermenting bucket and use it over and over for cleaning my copper pieces of my rig.

Cheers...

Initially scrub it down a bit with some dishwashing detergent and the back of a sponge, rinse with hot water. Then you can spray it down with a double strength mix of starsan or equal parts white vinager and water. Let it sit for an hour and rinse it off. IMHO, a full strength vinager soak is not necessary and it's a waste of money. Star san is a great sanitizer anyway and it's great for shining up metal pieces.

Just a follow up...
I essentially used all of these techniques. I scrubbed it with soap, boiled and soaked it in a vinegar/Starsan cocktail. I figured I couldn't go wrong and there would be now harm in overkill. It removed the smell, residue and worked well to boot. I went from 220 degrees to 80 in about 20 minutes thanks to the chiller and a recently thawed Lake Erie!

Take some pennies and put them on a plate. Smell them. Nothing, right? Now take those same pennies and hold them in your hands and rub them a bit. Smell your hands. Same metallic smell, right. It's a chemical reaction between the oils in your skin and the copper in the penny(or wort chiller). No worries, you'll be OK.

Still won't hurt to clean it first, though.

I'm the guy running olderascal.com. I'm glad the instructions worked. I never had a metallic taste with my chiller, but I also cleaned it thoroughly before boiling it with the wort. The copper is actually supposed to help the brew, but I don't have the reference backing that up anymore.

I just put pictures up of the prechiller. It helped me drop the temperature much faster.

www.olderascal.com/wortchiller

Back