Homemade Immersion Cooler Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyG

Reaction score
Hey all,

I built a homemade immersion chiller for fun and to save a couple bucks. I cleaned it with a vinegar solution the first time and have been rinsing it with water since I read that was the best way. I have noticed a weird tarnishing/staining/oxidizing on one part and am not sure if its a problem or how to fix it. PLEASE HELP

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums...514/?action=view&current=photo-1.jpg&newest=1

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums...yG514/?action=view&current=photo.jpg&newest=1

Sry I can't post photos right now. Broke as hell and gonna sign up to the more advanced accountonce my visa clears!!

You probably etched it with the vinegar.

It looks OK, don't worry. Keep vinegar away from it in future. Sterilize/sanitize it with the wort each time and rinse with clean hot water afterwards.

I hang mine to dry in the garage. They don't need any special cleaning. I went 7 years without brewing, pulled it out when I started again, and I think all I did was rinse it with hot water.

Yeah, they'll get some discoloration from time to time. After all it is copper which is fairly reactive. Especially when you apply certain chemicals, caustic as well as non-caustic.

I see you're from Canada, but I'm sure you've seen pictures of the Statue of Liberty. It's pure copper and the phuckin' thing is green. Probably looked pretty damn cool when it was new. Copper does that though when it gets oxidized. My chiller will have a hazy brown tint and some green spots here and there before I drop it in the wort. When it comes out it looks all shiny and new. I've never really thought twice about it.

Back