Homemade diffusion lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkwing

Reaction score
Has anyone made their own diffuser stone lid mod?

I was going to make a set of 4. Thought I could do them for half price or better. I especially wanted one for nitrogen.

I was going to buy bulkhead ball lock connectors, stones and silicone hose.

Is it hard to drill the stainless steel lids? I was thinking maybe a step drill would work?

Probably just get barbs and clamps or possibly threaded but that would cost more likely and no real gain.

Any tips, advice or suggestions?

Easier to just spend the couple dollars more for a ready made one as there isn't a huge difference in the cost of parts.... The big problem is that the PRV is right where you'd want to put your bulkhead.
I've used one, and even though it speeds up carbing, I found the QuickCarb pumped system faster and less bother, initially building my own, then later replacing it with the Blichmann Oxygenation tee and stone.

Easier yes but also an extra $100. Maybe for the future for the quick carb but it’s an extra couple hundred Canadian for me.

My coke kegs don’t even have a pressure relief but the Pepsi does I’m looking to replace them to Pepsi so four fit in the kegerator.

For my kids soda I could just attach the hose on the gas in post and forget about the bulkhead connector.

Maybe I’ll just buy one lid not sure. It’s mostly if interest for nitro beer.

I’m starting to ferment under pressure so will likely do a closed transfer and it’ll be mostly carbonated already.

Sweet thanks man! Cheapest I could find in Canada was just over $50. That makes my life way easier!

My understanding was nitrogen didn’t dissolve into liquid well so for nitro to actually come out the tap a diffuser was needed near the liquid tube take up. But I might have bad information.

That wasn’t a tip just something I read. Anyway there must be a reason for the widget in the Guinness and Kilkenny cans?

Of course there's a reason for nitro widgets. They actually do what they're intended to do, which is to roughly simulate a "beer gas pour".
There's no good analogy for that at the keg level, which is why we use stout faucets with beer gas...

Cheers!

Of course there's a reason for nitro widgets. They actually do what they're intended to do, which is to roughly simulate a "beer gas pour".
There's no good analogy for that at the keg level, which is why we use stout faucets with beer gas...

Cheers!
Ok but with a stout faucet and a diffuser I’m not understanding what’s wrong with the diffuser?

Back