Homemade Bottling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
anyone out there got instructions on how to make a homemade bottling bucket. Specifically, i was wondering what type of spigot and washers i will need. thanks all.

I would still get a spigot from a homebrewshop, but some hardware stores, and even the camping section of big box places like walmart do carry plastic spigots.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot. Make sure to get the lid though.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

You can also make a dip tube like I show in there.

Oh another tip, which I learned AFTER I already cut the hole for the spigot, put the spigot on the side where the graduated measuring lines are, NOT where I did mine.

Makes it easier to see how many gallons you have.

Here's some different spigots from hardware store web pages. Some will work better than others, you do need to either attach a hose and bottling wand or a bottling wand directly on the spigot.

This one prolly wouldn't work.

productimage-picture-spigot-111_JPG_280x280_q85.jpg

This one would.

Spigot.JPG

I've seen too many of these leak to feel comfortable with them

plastic-spigot-large-page.jpg

This is the standard homebrewshop one;

Thumb_725.jpg

I would reccommend using a step drill bit to make the hole if you have access to one. If not, I'd say drill a hole that's slightly too small for whatever spigot you're using then slowly expand the hole until you can start threading the spigot shank right into the plastic bucket wall.
Some of my mates in the homebrew club got pre-drilled buckets from the LHBS and have been plagued by leaks. I made my bottling bucket from a Home Depot bucket and a LHBS spigot (The one from Revvy's last picture, with the red handle) and have had zero leaks since I was able to make the hole in the bucket wall as tight as I could.

I actually have a question here. I have a spigot-less bottling bucket (aka just a bucket. lol) and I push my bottling wand into the other end of my auto siphon tube. I seem to have little issues bottling this way and am wondering if the spigot-ed bucket w/ wand attached is a better setup?

I seem to have lots of versatility with my setup now but have longingly looked at the buckets with spigots. I see a few issues like:
- the bucket needs to be up pretty high to get the bottle under it and all the control is by moving the bottle.
- the spigots can leak
- spigots look to be a central point of failure as well as difficult to clean.

The advantages I see are:
- a sealed way to stop the flow/not needing to create a siphon to use it.

I am just wondering if I am better off doing things the way I am or do I "need/want" a bottling bucket?

anyone's thoughts?

It's a matter of preference zamiel. I tired your way once, and it was a *****. But if it works for you than that is all that matter. There is really no "better" in brewing, just what is better for our process. :mug:

this is a completely newbie question so please forgive me. If you're transferring your beer from where-ever into the bottling bucket, only to add your primer and immediately bottle.. why not just bottle from the previous vessel using an autosiphon?

this is a completely newbie question so please forgive me. If you're transferring your beer from where-ever into the bottling bucket, only to add your primer and immediately bottle.. why not just bottle from the previous vessel using an autosiphon?

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy..which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Of course if you are using prime tabs it really doesn't matter. But most folks bulk prime with sugar solution, rather than bottle prime. Especially if you carb by style.

a) makes total sense. stirring makes a trub storm.

b) this could happen if you're putting it into a bucket too couldn't it? I would imagine its less likely that it'll oxidize in the previous vessel since the headspace is already filled with CO2.

b) this could happen if you're putting it into a bucket too couldn't it? I would imagine its less likely that it'll oxidize in the previous vessel since the headspace is already filled with CO2.

I think siphoning with proper technique (eg. not letting the beer splash all over) gives less opportunity for oxygen to get into your beer than stirring does. Plus, if you add the bulk priming sugar as Revvy suggests in his excellent bottling sticky https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/ then the need for stirring is completely eliminated. The priming solution will be mixed into the beer as it is racking.

But everyone has their own way, and I'm just a newbie anyway so don't take my word for it.

Well, I'm no scientist, but my guess is no. I think it would take some time before the leaching of any bad chemicals into your beer, but I definitely could be wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But my goal is to have a no plastic brewery in the future. I'd just prefer to avoid it altogether. And food grade plastic isn't very expensive, so I think it's worth it to get the good stuff.

When you rack over to a bottling bucket from your fermentor, you try to leave all that stuff behind in the fermentor. So no, it doesn't get stirred up when you mix the priming solution in the bottling bucket.

But as blueblodtea, and I think revvy, mentioned earlier in this thread, you need to find what works best for you with your system.

revvy's bottling sticky is REALLY worth a read, at least the first page or two anyway ;)

After a bunch of flat beer and a bunch of gushers from the same batch I'm gonna go get me a proper bucket. I prefer the gushers but this is by far the biggest range in the same batch that I have made so far.

Back