Homebuilt "Uni-tank"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyonsmith

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to jump on and share my newest gear. Ok, so maybe the name is slightly misleading, as when you hear Uni-tank most of us automatically think Conical Fermenter that's pressure rated.

Let's look at what I mean. Self contained vessel that I can ferment, condition, crash, carbonate and pressure transfer.

This was prompted from my desire to try a lager, and being spoiled by the big boy toys I play with.

I sacrificed one of my kegs and my copper wort chiller (I have upgraded to a plate chiller).

I wrapped the keg with the copper, and duct tape. Lots of duct tape.

I found a used glycol chiller for a good price.

I'm rigging the glycol chiller to the coil and a temperature controller. Fully controlled cold Uni-tank!! This may be out of reach for some folks, but maybe a good conversation starter. Share your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 351
Interesting project!
Are you insulating your "unikeg" and the lines from and to the glycol chiller? Those lines look very long...

How are you dealing with blow off?

Yeah, I'm going to wrap it in sheet foam insulation and the lines in a pipe insulation to keep it cool. Blow off is a tube from a spare gas ball lock on a tube in a growler of water but first through the prv for high krausen. That's what I normally do when I ferment in the keg. I also trimmed the dip tube so I don't move too much yeast during transfer.

How did this approach end up working out? Are you still using it?

Back