Homebrew taste/flavor right after carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanAnteater

Reaction score
I know this is going to be very broad, but I'm curious if this resonates with anyone. There's one thing that has bugged me a bit about most of the beers I've made where I'm shooting for a clean beer using WLP001, and fairly pale (generally IPA's or Pale Ales). There's a flavor I get when the beer is fresh that I can only describe as giving it an overall "dirty" or "unclean" quality- not even necessarily in flavor but partially in mouthfeel too- if that makes sense. Definitely not undrinkable, but annoying to my palate compared to what I find in really good commercial beers. Generally I find this right after bottle conditioning/carbonating, within the first couple to few weeks of the bottles chilling in the fridge. I don't know if it's in my head or not, but the flavor seems to dissipate over time, and the beers start to seem very clean and more of what I expected a month or more down the road (maybe 2 months after bottling). It's probably not detectable to the causal craft beer drinker but it is to me.

So, based on this description, is it really as simple as the flavors coming from all the stuff that are not "filtered" out by normal filtering processes? Yeast and other proteins/compounds which crash out of solution and settle to the bottom over time in the fridge?

Do others experience something similar to this as well? It's just kind of a bummer because, especially with hoppy beers, I want to drink those suckers the minute they are done carbonating. I do not want to buy gear to filter, and do not keg. Just all-grain and bottle, and my fermentations stay sub-70F. I don't brew a ton, and I don't do a lot of different styles (generally just IPA's and Saisons, with a Belgian Wit or Strong Pale Ale in past, so it's hard to really nail down when this occurs, but I notice it stands out most in my IPA's which are on a very light grain bill- Pale or Pilsner malt, and a splash of 20'ishL crystal usually).

Thanks for any input.

My guess is the yeast in suspension. As it stays cold, the yeast very slowly floculates out. Filtered beers obviously don't have this concern.

Back