HOmebrew shops in Ottawa, Ontario ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I find myself in Ottawa, Ontario. I'd like to visit a homebrew shop or two. Where should I go ? I'd specifically like to buy3 gallon Better Bottles, but I am interested in other things as well.

Thanks.

And after digging around you will find the LHBS's in Ottawa pathetic, with Defalco's having the "best" selection of stuff. Usually end up buying it from Canadian Tire or online. Specifically, I have never see a Better Bottle of any size for sale anywhere in Ottawa.

As for consumable items, http://skinaneybrewing.com/ or getting in on the MoB bulk orders (subscribe to the MoB list https://secure.neap.net/mailman/listinfo/brewers) is the best bet.

You guys are rigt about the Ottawa home brew shops, at least as far as Better Bottles are concerned. I called every place that answered the phone over the holidays and most or all had never heard of Better Bottles. One place told me they were plastic and thus leaked air ! :rollseyes:

Lucky homebrewers in the Ottawa area have acces to the Internet and can learn a few things on their own. I wouldn't want to rely on them for state of the art brewing information.

You guys are absolutely right!!
Home Brewers in Ottawa are EXTREMELY limited to supplies. The only store that sell ingredients is Defalco's and everything is WAY overpriced! I had to send a complaint about a sign explaining that the reason HOPS were so expensive is due to a shortage of hops..

If any homebrewers want to split on supplies, email me at [email protected]. We can order bulk grains from Montreal for about $30 for 25Kg "instead of Defalco's $99"
and we can order pellet hops from HopsDirect for about $15 for 16oz rather than Defalco's $7/1oz.

HEY, maybe we can even swap some brews!

You guys are absolutely right!!
Home Brewers in Ottawa are EXTREMELY limited to supplies. QUOTE]

Join the MOB mailing list posted above. We just did a bulk grain buy and received brewery prices, it was about 135 25kg sacks. a sack of 2 row was 23$.

Thanks for the info.
I tried subscribing.. now I just have to wait for the reply!

Do the grains come cracked?
Just wondering if I'll need to buy a mill or not!
I'm currently brewing Partials. I'd like to upgrade to all-grain but I think I'll slowly work my way up there.

I don't really need hardware. I've got over 50 Grolsch bottles and many other random flip top bottles. debating on getting in to kegging too.

I guess I can use a bigger pot in order to do all grain.

I've brewed from 3 kits and only one turned out drinkable. Now I'm doing partial mash and it tastes WAY better. I mostly brew Session Bitters and my last one was a Belgian blond with orange peel. great stuff!!

Hey Mobstar, did you get subscribed to the mailing list? sometimes they have tech problems with new subscribers... (btw make sure you use a gmail account for the threaded conversation feature or you will be flooded with unmanageable emails)
Grains do not come crushed, you will have to get a mill. They just did a group buy for barley crushers, there may be 1 or 2 extra that you can ask about. also since there was a recent group buy, some of the guys would be selling their old mills.

I tried subscribing but I haven't received anything yet.
I guess I'll try again.
I spoke to a couple home brewer friends of mine and they are stoked about this being available to us!

When do you think the next order will happen?
and how does the ordering/payment work?

I'd like to see some of the brewing setups in town to get an idea of what I should get to start all-grain.

I just brewed a nice Newcastle brown ale clone last night!

Long time lurker, first time poster (and new subscriber) I realize this thread has been quiet for more than four years, but if you're in Ottawa you should look at http://www.beergrains.com/ . With shipping they're still cheaper than de Ottawa suppliers- and they're talking about starting deliveries to Ottawa as well.

New to this forum Just spent some time trying to find best price I could on Co2 in the Ottawa Valley. This is the best I have found so far:

Davidson

5 # refill $23.35 +tax
10 # refill $27.75 +tax
20 # refill $33.50 +tax
pre-filled #20 used tank is $195.00 +tax

Pyromateck Inc (just across the river).

5 # refill $20.00 +tax
10 # refill $25.00 +tax
20 # refill $30.00 +tax
pre-filled #20 used tank with new stamp $125.00 +tax (photo attached since I bought one).

DSC09420_zpsnhyrgyvs.jpg

I use Davidson's. They're on my way home from work, they're friendly folks, and they fill my tank for me right there while I stand and wait, no appointment needed. Takes about 5 minutes.

Back