homebrew podcasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I drive a lot for work and was wondering what some good podcasts on home brewing are. Cheers.

You can't to wrong with classic BN.
Their shows are all archived so you can download, throw them on your iPod, and listen at leisure.
I prefer the older shows on the brewing network, as opposed to the newer ones.

There is a lot info from those shows that is still relevant today

I listen to
-Basic Brewing Radio
-Beersmith Podcast
-The Session (Brewing Network)
-Brew Strong (Brewing Network)
-Dr. Homebrew (Brewing Network)

I particularly recommend the early Jamil shows for recipes and information on brewing to style. Early Brew Strong for brewing methods and technical information. James Spencer's Basic Brewing shows are really well done and without some of the sophomoric humor of the Brewing Network shows if that turns you off. Brad Smith (BeerSmith) has some good info and guests, but he is not really an accomplished interviewer, so you do have some eye-rolling moments.

Basic Brewing and Beersmith are both great podcasts. The hosts on BrewingNetwork / Brewing With Style / Brew Strong are intolerable, immature *****ebags. They have minimum quotas per show of 3 full-volume mic-belches and 3 references to deviant sex acts. Aimed squarely at 14 year olds.

Basic Brewing and Beersmith are both great podcasts. The hosts on BrewingNetwork / Brewing With Style / Brew Strong are intolerable, immature *****ebags. They have minimum quotas per show of 3 full-volume mic-belches and 3 references to deviant sex acts. Aimed squarely at 14 year olds.

+1 for Basic Brewing and Beersmith.

I never could get into any of the Brewing Network's stuff. I TRIED. I really did. I listened to literally dozens of episodes before just writing the whole thing off.

There is certainly some good information to be gleaned from their podcasts, but damn, it takes FOREVER to get there. They generally spend the first half of the show just bull$#!tting with each other and trying to be funny but failing horribly at it. I don't find their sense of humor offensive in any way, just obnoxious to sit through while I'm waiting for the actual useful information to begin. Beersmith tends to be much more straight to the point, which I like.

+1 for Basic Brewing and Beersmith.

I never could get into any of the Brewing Network's stuff. I TRIED. I really did. I listened to literally dozens of episodes before just writing the whole thing off.

There is certainly some good information to be gleaned from their podcasts, but damn, it takes FOREVER to get there. They generally spend the first half of the show just bull$#!tting with each other and trying to be funny but failing horribly at it. I don't find their sense of humor offensive in any way, just obnoxious to sit through while I'm waiting for the actual useful information to begin. Beersmith tends to be much more straight to the point, which I like.

I agree. I do like some of the older "style" podcasts Jamil did, but I can't get into the BN's long shows (hours, I think?) to glean a tiny bit of info out of it. There are lots of fart jokes, if you're into that.

I do listen to some Beersmith podcasts, and the Basic Brewing Radio ones as well.

I couldn't agree more. Basic Brewing is great - decent length, good content, generally well planned/implemented interviews/etc. I find beersmith's podcast to be a little dry, so while informative I need to listen to it in dribs and draps - other wise it is sleepy town.

The brewing radio podcasts have good info in them - but it takes a lot of work to a) find that info in the 2+ hour long podcasts, b) among the extreme amount of advertising (I know they need sponsorship, but geez, its half of some of the shows when you add in their commentary on the ads), and c) the pure idiocy of the *****ebags running the interviews.

Bryan

I find the BN crew to be hilarious and the information is great. It took me a little while to get in to, but once you get to know their personalities, you get a lot more out of the humour. JPs quiet throwaway comments can especially be sidesplitting - Justin has to maintain the facade of professionalism.

It's also a pretty good yardstick to give you an idea of which of your fellow homebrewers are about as interesting as drying paint... they tend to hate the BN, probably because life is srs bzns, you gais!

But such is the mix of personalities that a technical hobby/profession attracts. There are beer nerds and beer nerds, n'om sayyyyyyin'?

but once you get to know their personalities, you get a lot more out of the humour...It's also a pretty good yardstick to give you an idea of which of your fellow homebrewers are about as interesting as drying paint... they tend to hate the BN, probably because life is srs bzns, you gais!
Yeah, cause the enjoyment/lack-thereof of "humour" that is childish, moronic and far too often homophobic/misogynist/etc is clearly something represents reasonable grounds for determining the personalities of individuals who dislike/like it :rolleyes:

Yeah, cause the enjoyment/lack-thereof of "humour" that is childish, moronic and far too often homophobic/misogynist/etc is clearly something represents reasonable grounds for determining the personalities of individuals who dislike/like it :rolleyes:

Weird, because I actually like JP and Justin (and Palmer) quite a lot, after dealing with them at several NHCs and having a few beers with them. But I don't like the podcast. They are pretty nice (and funny) people, although Justin still pointed at JP and said, "JP's an *******" a couple of times.

Justin is on the AHA Governing Committee and he works hard on it. He is intelligent and well respected and deservedly so, for all of his contributions.

I've met Justin's girlfriend, and she's very nice, and I've had a couple of beers with Justin's dad and he's a super nice guy as well.

They are "good people", for sure. But I can't listen to the show.

I don't think its weird at all - people often act very differently in person than they do in more private settings (even when the private settings are being broadcast, I guess). I'm probably nicer in-person too...

Humour = pushing the envelope of a person's boundaries, yet remaining grounded in reality (funny cause it's true). Comedy is all about defining those boundaries. The tighter they are, (typically) the more tightly (in general) those people are wound... And the less likely they would be people I, since I can't speak for anyone else, would want to have a beer with.

The BN crew does not strike me as truly homophobic, racist, or misogynistic, although they do make fun of stereotypes... but that's a nuance that most 'serious' people tend to miss. But I suppose I've been stereotyping this whole time and am being decidedly un-PC.

So apparently the BN Army guys are comedic geniuses, and anyone who doesn't find them funny has no sense of humor?

Comedy comes in many shapes and forms. Some people like potty humor, some people like slapstick, some people like dark humor, some people like satire, some people like edgy borderline sexist/racist jokes. I tend to prefer the dry wit of British humor, though I also like satire (ex Stephen Colbert, the Onion, etc) and dark humor. Comedy is a broad spectrum with lots of overlap, and different people find different things funny.

I do not find the BN Army guys funny in the slightest. That doesn't make me uptight or lacking a sense of humor. I just find their sense of humor childish and about as subtle as a mallet (in my personal opinion, feel free to disagree). If you find them humorous, then more power to you, I just don't care for it myself.

cheers :mug:

I like the BN podcasts. Brew Strong strikes a better balance between informative and cordial than the others for me. I do like the more laid back approach of the BN podcasts compared to say beersmith which I also listen to. I can certainly understand that the Session will not be to all tastes, it is certainly sophomoric and some people have less tolerance for that kind of thing. No ones forcing anyone to listen to it though so if you don't like dick and fart jokes then don't tune in/download.

Jamil Show is decent. Some slapstick, not too bad. I think all of the old BJCP Style shows are great for new brewers to learn the styles and how to brew them. For a new brewer, there is a LOT of shows there that should keep you busy for a while.

Brewstrong is good when they stick to technical parts of brewing. I skip the Q&A shows. The shows that focus on haze or the boil or stuff like that, especially when there is a technical guest (Dr. Charles Bamforth!), are best.

Sunday show not for me. The juvenile banter and psuedo-gay schtick gets old very fast.

I used to like Basic Brewing, but there's something about the odd obligatory laugh that James Spencer always does that bugs the crap out of me. And that Dan Rather imitation voice he falls into at least once per show bugs me too. I guess we've grown apart :) Also, a lot of shows are based on very poorly devised tests. He'll have people on the show that did 10 carboys of beer to determine something, but DUH they forgot to measure OG/FG. Come on, really? I don't listen to his shows anymore unless it's something or someone that I am really interested in.

I guess I don't listen to many beer podcasts anymore. But I listen to an hour or two of podcasts most days, while I'm working or biking. Here's some of my faves:

• Dan Carlin - Hardcore History
  • Dan Carlin - Common Sense
  • StarTalk Radio with Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Travel with Rick Steves
  • NPR: Snap Judgement

I've tried numerous mobile players. On the iPhone, I like Downplayer best. On the PC, I use Stitcher.

I don't need my brewing podcasts to be funny. I need them to talk about brewing.

Jamil's BN podcasts do neither.

Belching, potty humour, homophobic double-entendres are not funny. Inane banter about nonsense, screaming over-the-top ads that drag on for 10 minutes, are not informative. The podcasts are a total waste of time.

I listen to Beer Smith's podcasts regularly. Straight forward with good information, not a lot of flash.

The BN podcasts strike me as a cheap ripoff of Jim Rome's shtick and it puts me off. Still good info. I listen to it occasionally, if I'm interested in the subject, but I skip the BS.

The BN Brewstrong "Progasm" shows were surprisingly clean of swearing and a lot of the off color humor. Otherwise, fairly spot on.
Kombat said:
I don't need my brewing podcasts to be funny. I need them to talk about brewing.

Jamil's BN podcasts do neither.

Belching, potty humour, homophobic double-entendres are not funny. Inane banter about nonsense, screaming over-the-top ads that drag on for 10 minutes, are not informative. The podcasts are a total waste of time.

Liberal use of the skip ahead button solves the ad issue. Skip the first minute back from break and you'll usually get to the "meat" of the program.

Yeah, a total waste of time... It's not like they have interviews with world class brewers... Either everything or nothing is funny. Everything else is a matter of taste... Well, I suppose a flame war is fitting in the circumstances.

He's just mad because he got slapped around after declaring that everyone who didn't share his exact sense of humour was a stick-in-the-mud.

I like the old BN stuff the best. "How to brew it", the various "style episodes." I like the new Dr. Homebrew pod cast - it is a pretty interesting show if you enter competitions. I am fine with the Sunday Session..... I will put it on during a brew session if there is not a new episode of something else to listen to. As others have said, it is a rather "light" on brewing info and rather "heavy" on sophomoric humor. I listen to it in the back ground while I brew. I get why others would not listen to it.
I suppose, as I spend the majority of my life around teenagers, my standards of acceptable humor reflect that.......:drunk:

Although it is not a homebrew show specifically and much more a craft beer show, I like "Beer Sessions Radio." In this same vein, I just began listening to another craft beer show, "The Perfect Pour."
In terms of homebrewing specific shows, I've enjoyed "Dr. Homebrew," although their has not been a new episode for quite some time. I listen to the other BN shows despite the fact that they are centered around junior high school humor (including their ads with Bad a** b**** Jade and blowing your f****** face right the f*** off - super stupid to anyone over 8 yrs old). They keep my mind occupied at the gym and I do learn things.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've listened to about a dozen episodes of brew strong and I fully agree with everyone. There's actually only about 20 minutes of content per episode though I think John Palmer is a decent guy its just unfortunate he doesn't have his own show. Moving on to basic brewing. Thanks for the tips.

Although it is not a homebrew show specifically and much more a craft beer show, I like "Beer Sessions Radio." In this same vein, I just began listening to another craft beer show, "The Perfect Pour."
In terms of homebrewing specific shows, I've enjoyed "Dr. Homebrew," although their has not been a new episode for quite some time. I listen to the other BN shows despite the fact that they are centered around junior high school humor (including their ads with Bad a** b**** Jade and blowing your f****** face right the f*** off - super stupid to anyone over 8 yrs old). They keep my mind occupied at the gym and I do learn things.
Different demographics and who they are targeting. Unfortunately, they're not making shows for brewers that have children running around or in the car. There is no BN playing while around the kids, which is a shame. :(

Just did some searching through itunes, as I have pretty much exhausted listening to all the old BN, Basic Brewing, etc. and the others mentioned. Found two new ones that seem like they might have some promise. I only listened to snippets of a couple episodes of each - but seemed like they might be decent:
Brew Bubbas Radio
Beer Making Classes

Worth a listen

I can't get over the large amount of commercial breaks that the BN takes. Easier to listen on the computer and skip the commercials

I've listened to about a dozen episodes of brew strong and I fully agree with everyone. There's actually only about 20 minutes of content per episode though I think John Palmer is a decent guy its just unfortunate he doesn't have his own show. Moving on to basic brewing. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, they spent over 1 hour dragging out Apparent Attenuation for the first Brew Strong. Lost me straight away!! :)

I've found beersmith podcast to be my favorite. All content no bs. Like all podcasts it has a limited lifetime. Once they go through the basics and the secondary material it gets pretty thin. How many times can you revisit mash Ph? I will say I listened to the select tidbits from beersmith- about 30 episodes- and it was like a 3 day beginning brewer seminar. It was all stuff I've read but things that anyone could use a revisit. Really great stuff.

Basic Brewing Video and Radio but my favorite is BrewingTV. They don't make em any more but I've watched all of them and they're a lot of fun.

BrwingTV was awesome. Chip (Chop & Brew) is somewhat filling that void, but BrewingTV was (I think) a professional production, and it showed.

Bryan

Back