Homebrew Party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbloader

Reaction score
As a supervisor I want to have a "homebrew party" for my guys (and girl). They drink the Buds and Millers of the world butsome love new things while some are adverse to change.

So, in the spirit of opening up new choices/tastes/ideas to them I have decided to have a "homebrew party." Myself and one other member will provide the beer, and I want the party for May or June.

So, the question is, considering the Miller/Bud people what should I brew now to prepare for the party?

My plan is to rent out a local bar's upstairs and provide snack food (from the bar) and my beer. Thanks for your replies.

i'd go with a cream ale, blond ale, pale ale, something along those lines for the naysayers.

I'd be suprised if the bar would let you do that but power to you if they do. I'd probably brew a light ale. Are you an extract brewer or all grain? i have some recipes I use on my brother's BMC crowd and they always go well.

Relative owns the bar and has a homebrewers convention every month. As long as i buy food and pay the rental for the room it not a problem. Also, I get them started and then we head downstairs...he has over thirty taps and at least as many bottles.

I just started brewing late last year, and have had people over for mini parties, I did a heff(widmer clone) simple porter, and an IPA, everyone loved the heff and porter, but not the IPA. But honestly it is a good IPA, I just am finding out that people seem to like the heffs better and this weekend will be a raspberry ale. I do force carb, and racked the heff over lemon juice.

Good luck

I just started brewing late last year, and have had people over for mini parties, I did a heff(widmer clone) simple porter, and an IPA, everyone loved the heff and porter, but not the IPA. But honestly it is a good IPA, I just am finding out that people seem to like the heffs better and this weekend will be a raspberry ale. I do force carb, and racked the heff over lemon juice.

Good luck

Good deal. i would not have guessed a true Heffe would inspire much interest. Very few of my friends share my love for IPA's so that was one i knew would have limited demand. Still, I will try the Heffe. I just wound't have thought...

Thinking about this thread is making me hungry... Bar food and homebrew...

Cream of Three Crops and pizza...
IPA and buffalo or ranch chicken wings...
German style Hefe and brats in a brat 'hot tub' (grilled brats slathering in a hot bath of BMC, butter and chopped onions and peppers).

C'mon warmer weather!

I say brew 2 beers.. something like a Creme Ale or a Kolsch and also whatever floats your boat. I'd go with an imperial stout but that's me. I've had a strangely good luck with Belgian Wit spanning folks who like good beer and those who have no taste. Easy to drink but has character. Would make a good 3rd choice.

+1 on Belgian Wit as a crowd pleaser. I brew lots of styles, but two that I can't seem to keep around for long are the Big Wit (a rather large 6.5% ABV Wit) and the true Blonde, ( 5.5 - 6% ABV pilsner base lightly hopped with a splash of crystal 60 for character). Everyone is a fan of one or the other. They move like there is a leak in the keg.

I am still taking notes but I am going to give the Heff a go(not to be mistaken with "The Hoff").

The Wit sounds good too. I will drink a Heff, but it is not my favorite and I have a feeling that I may get stuck with a lot whatever I decide to brew.

Gonna talk to my brewing Bud tomorrow and I let you all know our choice.

Thanks!

Screw the lighter styles, maybe have one. If it's free, it will be consumed, no matter what it is. Show them something they wouldn't normally try. I throw big parties a couple times a year. Most people drink cheap beer, but I have 6 beers on tap of what I like. By the end of the night, kegs are drained. Halloween I had an Extra Stout, Black IIPA, IPA, Hoppy Wheat, KY Common, and Irish Red. All gone.

I would brew some of my better recipes on file and have some ice cold BMCs handy for the, well for the BMC guys...

BMC guys deserve BMC beer!

I'd recommend a Blond Ale, Belgian Wit (easy on the spices), and round it out with an Amber Ale for the bold among them.

My wife doesn't normally drink beer but she loves my homebrewed version of Guinness. We also found out over the weekend that she likes Troeg's Double Bock.
Last year I took a couple bottles of stout to a friend's house. She doesn't drink beer at all and liked it.
I guess those are suggestions. You might be surprised what people will enjoy once they try it.

What about a California Common? Those are pretty accesible. Northern Brewer sells a clone kit of Anchor Steam if you don't want to bother figuring out a recipe

Once again, lots of good info. I have (for me) RI Stout, Black IPA(American Black Ale, IBA, or whatever the hell it is called...it's dark and hoppy with more malty goodness than a normal IPA), a Mr. Beer Lager, a Pale Ale, a California Pale, and a Brewers Best Traditional European Bock.

As for the suggestions, I get made fun of for actually enjoying a Guiness so the clone is out. Sorry, Hoppus. I said earlier that the Wit and Heffe were in, but now am thinking this combo:

1. Lager (Even my Miller Light snobs drank Yuengling)
2. BMC (I need a good recipe)
3. The Heffe (I think the sediment in a true heff might scare them tho)
4. Apfelwein in my Mr. Beer (I have one guy who loves wine)

Anyway, these are the three we chose and will brew in April with the party scheduled for July. I will have all my favorites available, of course, but truly expect to be drinking the "good" beer with one or two others.

My wife doesn't normally drink beer but she loves my homebrewed version of Guinness. We also found out over the weekend that she likes Troeg's Double Bock.
Last year I took a couple bottles of stout to a friend's house. She doesn't drink beer at all and liked it.
I guess those are suggestions. You might be surprised what people will enjoy once they try it.

Link your stout recipe?

Back