Homebrew filtration and Desired levels of CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briansk

Reaction score
2 quick questions:

I've lucked out on my 5 or 6 batches so far and not had any bomb bottles, but what is the best way to calculate how much sugar to use for bottle conditioning/carbing my beer? I know beer smith helps with this, but you need to give a desired level of CO2. I do gluten free brewing, so that adds to the complexity of this question..

My other question is regarding filtration. I've done a blueberry beer with pie filling during the boil and while it came out great, way too many little blueberry bits and pieces got into the bottles despite using a secondary fermentation and letting the bottling bucket settle for a day. I just brewed a pumpkin ale and noticed going into the primary that a lot of little puree pieces made the journey too. Any suggestions on how to filter these out when going into the bottling stage? I thought I read somewhere that there is an additive that will cause the particles to flock together and drop out...

The exact units by style is less of an issue than it seems. Shoot for 2ish. When in doubt, try google, "brown ale co2 units" for example.

As for filtering, try tying a hop sock or 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of the racking cane when you transfer to the bottling bucket.

TimpanogosSlim said:
The exact units by style is less of an issue than it seems. Shoot for 2ish. When in doubt, try google, "brown ale co2 units" for example.

As for filtering, try tying a hop sock or 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of the racking cane when you transfer to the bottling bucket.

I would just cold crash..

I would just cold crash..

Cold crashing helps.

But I was a n00b not so many months ago, and i got a lot better at racking over time.

And with floaties in the beer, a filter bag over the end of the cane can really help.

Just tryin' to give a n00b a few hints to a more rewarding bottling day.

TimpanogosSlim said:
Cold crashing helps.

But I was a n00b not so many months ago, and i got a lot better at racking over time.

And with floaties in the beer, a filter bag over the end of the cane can really help.

Just tryin' to give a n00b a few hints to a more rewarding bottling day.

I have issues every time I try to put something over the end of the racking cane.... So I gave up on that method. To each their own.

Back