Homebrew Competition Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvious23

Reaction score
Got my scores back got a 36.5 for my first competition. Very proud moment for me.

1400436449342.jpg

Nice work! I also entered my very first contest this year and got a 38.5 and took 2nd in the category (10A American Pale Ale) out of 34 entries. It was an all Mosaic hop pale that I had made just to see what the hop was like, but ended up so tasty I decided to enter it into a contest.

Only thing I was dinged on was that the judges thought it was a little TOO hoppy for a Pale Ale. I kind of knew that already, as the recipe was designed as more of a "NWPA" to showcase the hop, but getting an otherwise flawless scoresheet and some swag to boot was pretty cool for what was basically a test beer.

Now I am in another contest where everyone brews a style drawn at random and the top half of the entries move on. I made it past round 1 which was a robust porter (a style I had never brewed before, so I was extremely happy to move on) and this next round is a pale ale. I keep going back and forth on whether I am going to tweak the recipe to tone down the hoppy-ness or just rebrew it was before.

Nice work! I also entered my very first contest this year and got a 38.5 and took 2nd in the category (10A American Pale Ale) out of 34 entries. It was an all Mosaic hop pale that I had made just to see what the hop was like, but ended up so tasty I decided to enter it into a contest.

Only thing I was dinged on was that the judges thought it was a little TOO hoppy for a Pale Ale. I kind of knew that already, as the recipe was designed as more of a "NWPA" to showcase the hop, but getting an otherwise flawless scoresheet and some swag to boot was pretty cool for what was basically a test beer.

Now I am in another contest where everyone brews a style drawn at random and the top half of the entries move on. I made it past round 1 which was a robust porter (a style I had never brewed before, so I was extremely happy to move on) and this next round is a pale ale. I keep going back and forth on whether I am going to tweak the recipe to tone down the hoppy-ness or just rebrew it was before.

Very good job. It makes me excited to enter more competitions.

Nice work!
Side note bitter rant. The only competition I placed in never sent me my ribbon in spite of asking them a few times.

Nice work!
Side note bitter rant. The only competition I placed in never sent me my ribbon in spite of asking them a few times.

Thanks I have been brewing for just over a year. On the comment section there was a box for id pay money for this beer checked by a pro brewer from founders one of my judges. That was really a good moral booster.

Back