Homebrew Clubs and new NHC Rules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here belong to a local homebrew club?

We had an officers' meeting tonight and got into a long discussion of how changes to NHC entry rules may effect our own point system for our brewer of the year award. The lottery system and 6-beer entry limit may mean that some of our members but be denied opportunities while others might get an advantage. Some are arguing that we've got to somehow adjust our point system to account for the possibility of one brewer getting an advantage simply due to getting more entries than someone else in club.

Since I'm not big on competitions, I don't have a dog in this fight- but as an officer I feel compelled to think it through as we consider what to do. I was wondering how other clubs are approaching this.

The NZ National homebrew compitition introduce a rule that would subtract points for subpar beers - this was done to reduce the technique of shotgunning the compition with multiple beers hoping that enough would medal to award you with champion brewer. Basically any beer that scores 14-20 has one point removed from the brewer, anything under 13 removes 2 points.
Since the NHC has limited entries, could your club look at organising your own "NHC" alternative compitition - that way everyone can enter the beers they would have enter if they could of. That is of coarse if you can scrouge up a few judges (at least 1 certified per table and then some aspiring ones :D)

Latest posts

Back