Homebrew calculation formulas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I was curious to know if there are any online resources for formulas used in homebrewing. Such as, Estimating OG/FG from recipes, ABV percentages, etc... I know there are tons of free calculatorslike Beertools, Beersmith, Promash, etc... However, what if one was interested in making these calculations by hand? I have googled and found some info on particular formulas, but no real resource citing all of the most common brewing formulas. It might be good for the Wiki :eek:

I have promash and looooooove it... I think it gives you the formulas in the help area... not sure but you can get a free version that works great!

here's the one i use:
BrewCalcs: Free Homebrewing Calculations

"The most common brewing calculations right on one page! Always free, never ads. Calculations include: hydrometer temperature correction, refractometer calculations (brix / plato to specific gravity), fermentation specifics (attenuation, alcohol by weight (abw), alcohol by volume (abv), calories), mash calculator (water temperature, water volume, single / multiple infusion, strike water), as well as a yeast pitching rate calculator for lagers and ales."

here's the one i use:
BrewCalcs: Free Homebrewing Calculations

"The most common brewing calculations right on one page! Always free, never ads. Calculations include: hydrometer temperature correction, refractometer calculations (brix / plato to specific gravity), fermentation specifics (attenuation, alcohol by weight (abw), alcohol by volume (abv), calories), mash calculator (water temperature, water volume, single / multiple infusion, strike water), as well as a yeast pitching rate calculator for lagers and ales."

Very cool link, this thread is really interesting, and the websites look great.

I may get a printout of this poster someday. Legality wise I probably can't but since I can't buy it anywhere anymore that's the only way I can figure out how to get one.

Back