Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marc,

So to answer your question, yes I had been following this thread...but I have not followed it since you got your garage system fully functional. All I have to say is WOW brother!! Really like what you have done and your innovations along the way.

One interesting theme between you an I is Westy and St. Bernadius ABT 12. Do you think they are the same beer and do you think you have cloned them? Have both in my cellar and am interested to get independent corroboration on this topic.

Hope to meet up sometime soon and hoist a few!!!

Cheers!

Tony

Wowsa, westy xii and st bernardus are anything but the same beer! Sorry, I'm a little snooty on this as westy xii redefined beer for me while in Belgium and started this hobby, er obsession, er sickness ; )

The main difference to me is that st bernardus is overly sweet and lacks depth. A properly aged westy (I've got a few in stock from diff batches which I'll gladly pop when you stop in!) has a myriad of different flavors and changes well with age. For me a westy xii is a different beer every time I have it but in a really good way. My version of it won the World Cup of beer (bay area edition) this year at 6 months and I was way low on OG, same batch (still on tap) changes weekly and is still fantastic. I've saved 5g for bottling in the walk in that is uncarbed. Drunken ramblings..... Not meaning to offend, I loved St B until I had my westy clone on tap!

A few buddies and I have a dozen bottles of Westy 12 coming in a week or so; can't to try it. Any chance you clone recipe is available to share?

First water test! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407712015.346593.jpg

Wowsa, westy xii and st bernardus are anything but the same beer! Sorry, I'm a little snooty on this as westy xii redefined beer for me while in Belgium and started this hobby, er obsession, er sickness ; )

The main difference to me is that st bernardus is overly sweet and lacks depth. A properly aged westy (I've got a few in stock from diff batches which I'll gladly pop when you stop in!) has a myriad of different flavors and changes well with age. For me a westy xii is a different beer every time I have it but in a really good way. My version of it won the World Cup of beer (bay area edition) this year at 6 months and I was way low on OG, same batch (still on tap) changes weekly and is still fantastic. I've saved 5g for bottling in the walk in that is uncarbed. Drunken ramblings..... Not meaning to offend, I loved St B until I had my westy clone on tap!

I know this sounds odd, but I did a triple side by side. Westy 12, st bern 12 and rochefort 8. St bern sucked in comparison. However, the rochefort was extremely similarly to the Westy. I was quite impressed. Not identical, but has enough complexity to quench your Westy cravings until you can find/trade/order from Belgium

I know this sounds odd, but I did a triple side by side. Westy 12, st bern 12 and rochefort 8. St bern sucked in comparison. However, the rochefort was extremely similarly to the Westy. I was quite impressed. Not identical, but has enough complexity to quench your Westy cravings until you can find/trade/order from Belgium

Doesn't sound strange at all!

Bad move man. Now you've convinced yourself St. B sucks, when really it's badass. Sure Westy is better, but you can't pop in to your local bottle shop and pick it up whenever you want :)

Bad move man. Now you've convinced yourself St. B sucks, when really it's badass. Sure Westy is better, but you can't pop in to your local bottle shop and pick it up whenever you want :)

The crazy thing is that you can now... At least here in the SF Bay Area. Besides he was commenting on his preference for Rochefort over St B as an accessible beer.

The crazy thing is that you can now... At least here in the SF Bay Area. Besides he was commenting on his preference for Rochefort over St B as an accessible beer.

Huh? Westy isn't distributed anywhere. Maybe a random shop is bootlegging some bottles?

Huh? Westy isn't distributed anywhere. Maybe a random shop is bootlegging some bottles?

I think it is bigger than a random shop as I've seen it in at least three places in the area, maybe a rogue distri that found a way to get some larger quantities......

I've got several in the fridge and my clone on tap so I'm happy as can be.

I think it is bigger than a random shop as I've seen it in at least three places in the area, maybe a rogue distri that found a way to get some larger quantities......

I've got several in the fridge and my clone on tap so I'm happy as can be.

Hmm. Are they still the gift-packs floating around?

if it's sold, it's bootlegged....My sister lives in Brussels, so I get mine legally. :mug:
http://www.sintsixtus.be/

The Westvleteren "Trappist" is sold exclusively at the abbey store, and only after having made a reservation by telephone (+32 (0)70/21.00.45).

How does one reserve beer?

See our web page Up-to-date Information for information regarding when reservations will be accepted for which beer and how much beer can be reserved at any one time.
At the time indicated, call us using the beer phone number (+32 (0)70/21.00.45).
Then you can make an appointment (date and time) with the beer phone operator, providing the license plate number of the car which will be used to pick up the order.
Address of our abbey and beer store is: Donkerstraat 12, B -8640 Westvleteren.

Busy Signals and Limited Reservations

Please take into account that you may often get a busy signal when you call to make a reservation, due to the fact that our beer lines are overburdened! You're not the only one who is calling at that moment. Due to our small-scale production, the number of telephone calls is much greater than the number of available reservations. That means it's a matter of having a lot of patience as well as a lot of luck.

In order to allow as many customers as possible to make a reservation, there are several limitations built into the reservation process:

Automobiles:

Attention! It takes at least 60 days before the same automobile can pick up a next order.

f.ex. your last pick up the 15th of October - your next pick up possible from the 15th of December on.

Telephones:

- Attention! It takes at least 60 days before the same telephone number can reach the beer phone for a next reservation.

f.ex. your last phone call for a reservation the 10th of October - your next phone call possible from the 10th of December on.

- Anonymous telephone numbers are not accepted.

- Land phones and cell phones have an equal chance. All telephone zones are treated equally.

There's no sense in trying to contact our beer sales outlet or the brewery - in any way at all - if you don't succeeds in placing a reservation. Any such attempts will receive no response.
It is for us administratively impossible to change made agreements.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and your patience!

Prices

Our beer is sold by the crate, with 24 bottles per crate. From the 1st of May 2013 on, the beer prices (excluding the deposit for the crate and the bottles) are :
Trappist Westvleteren Blond (5,8 vol.% ABV) 30,00 euros
Trappist Westvleteren 8 (dark) (8 vol.% ABV) 35,00 euros
Trappist Westvleteren 12 (dark) (10,2 vol.% ABV) 40,00 euros

Deposit for empty bottles and crate: 12 euros (9.60 euros for the crate plus 0.10 euros per bottle). Empty bottles and crates can be returned only if undamaged. The wooden crates should be kept in a dry place.

Conditions

Westvleteren Trappist is sold only to individual customers. Every customer agrees not to re-sell the beer to any third party.

Opening Hours

Unless otherwise specified (see our page with Up-to-date Information), the empty bottles and crates can be returned to the sales desk any afternoon between 13:30 and 16:30. Our beer shop is closed on Fridays, Sundays and national holidays as well as January 1-14 and the week following the third Sunday of September.

Our beer can also be enjoyed in the welcome center 'In De Vrede', across the street from the abbey. Here you can also visit the Claustrum , an exhibition room with a presentation of life in the abbey as well as information about the brewery and the brewing process.

How to keep and to serve our beer?

With the exception of our Blond beer, Trappist beer will keep for years: give the beer time and it will continue to ripen. The minimum sell-by date is stamped on the capsule. Store the bottles vertically in a dark place between 12° and 16° C. It is better not to refrigerate Trappist 8 and Trappist 12; Trappist Blond, on the other hand, may also be served cooled.

Yup, I just got back from Belgium and have my two crates sitting ominously in my cellar. It's so damn good it's hard to resist drinking, but at the same time, it's gotta last.

it looks like the hopper will hold a whole bag?

The stainless cube in the photo in post 727? HLT?

Ah yes the glycol chiller, time to get that bad boy fired up! I have 5g of food grade glycol showing up tomorrow. I have to build an insulated glycol loop that has solenoid controls for temp management of the fermenters as well as a drop to the chiller. These are usually insulated PVC but I'm thinking about using insulated 3/4" Goodyear hose for flexibility with QD's.

are you going to jacket the fermenters or route the tubing internally submerged in the wort?

Fermenter #1 is already jacketed! It's got 3/4" in and out single zone glycol which is a challenge for both heating and cooling batches. Most of our recipes just require cooling but a few of the Belgians ferment pretty warm so I'll need to devise a heating loop as well. 3bbl ferms are not usually dual zoned like larger jacketed ferms where the glycol jacket on the cone is separate from the main body jacket.

Use the pex 3 way valves most rv water heater bypasses have. 2 of them to direct either to the glycol chiller or to a container with a few fish tank heaters in it for those pesky Belgians.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Use the pex 3 way valves most rv water heater bypasses have. 2 of them to direct either to the glycol chiller or to a container with a few fish tank heaters in it for those pesky Belgians.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Do you have a link? I haven't seen any that would be non-restrictive at 1" or even 3/4" for that matter. I'm thinking of building a supply and return loop similar to larger breweries and just T'ing off to 24 vdc asco solenoids for the drops. For the Fermenters I can have them be PID controlled and the chiller a manual switch. With a low H20 flow and secondary glycol I'm projecting single pass at about 5 or 6 GPM to get 65 degree wort into the fermenter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowsa, it's been awhile but things are progressing well with the brewery. We purchased a steam heated, fully automated pilot system with cellaring for the brewery that should hold us for the next year or so in very limited production. Our licensing is still slowly progressing although TTB process hasn't moved in two months. our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benoit-Casper-Brewing/272708736225142 if you'd like to check out what we are up to!

Cheers!

photo 1-1.jpg

Wait, wasn't the 3bbl setup in your garage going to be moved to your brewery? How big is this "pilot" system of yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wait, wasn't the 3bbl setup in your garage going to be moved to your brewery? How big is this "pilot" system of yours?

The pilot brewery is 3.5bbl with every valve pneumatic and steam heated kettle. The touchscreen controls the brewhouse and cellaring. It came with two 3.5bbl ferms, one 3.5 bright, 2 7bbl ferms, one 7bbl bright and a 10bbl single wall unitank. I am keeping the 3bbl stout rig in the garage for the time being to get it dialed in and then we'll figure out what to do with it. The new system is closer in process to what we'll end up with in production in the next few years so we can build out run book operations for the production brewery and ultimately keep the new system as our pilot brewhouse.

Wow! An amazing transformation. Your making it happen, just a small upgrade from the garage. :D

Perfect storm this year, found a great partner for the business and funding magically appeared! It really is amazing that it is coming together so well.

That looks a lot bigger than 3.5 barrels :)

Thinking back is your garage setup actually dual 1.5 barrels?

That looks a lot bigger than 3.5 barrels :)

Thinking back is your garage setup actually dual 1.5 barrels?

It was.... That gear went over to our warehouse and I now have a 3 bbl stout electric setup in my garage ; )

Back