Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boar Beer said:
Nice build
are you going to control Fermentation temperature or just
pick your yeast and let it go.

Will end up controlling temp, lets call that phase 1.5 : ) right now the garage sits right at 70-72 on a 95 degree day without the AC running. If I can keep the whole garage at 65 and control a heater per ferm most of my brews would be very happy. I need to vent the cold room AC heat out of the room though as that will raise the temp in the whole garage to about 80 when running 24/7.

Hi Barry! I've been having a hard time finding any tubing that is good enough (food safe and high temp) with a 1" diameter that isn't 20-30$ per foot!
Lot's of hoses out there, Goodyear brewing hoses, Noreprene®, etc.
Search for brewing hoses or go to US plastic.
Most of my hoses are Noreprene® A-60-F, NSF-51 tubing, max. temp 275° F.

Cheers,
Claudius

PBW testing. Last pic is of the whirlpool

image-3061220900.jpg

image-528987909.jpg

image-3378436874.jpg

image-838455047.jpg

marcb said:
Full throttle 184 degrees from the rinnai!

What flow rate and what input temp are getting? Is there any concern about having some of the grains being hot/wet longer than the rest because of the time fill up the MT?

jjadamsfb said:
What flow rate and what input temp are getting? Is there any concern about having some of the grains being hot/wet longer than the rest because of the time fill up the MT?

I haven't checked the input temp but as far as flow rate it is about 8-10 GPM. The process for the maiden voyage tomorrow is to fill 30 gallons of strike water at 160 then add the 95lbs of grain, stir and recirculate through a heat exchanger to dial it in and keep it at 152. I will post lots of pictures and we still have lots of dialing in to do but it's going to be fun! Inaugural brew day!

Late start for the epic brew day! Cleaning the fermenter! Getting ready to grind the grain!

image-981599047.jpg

Milling the grain, the last picture is what the hopper looks like with 25 KG of barley... I can definitely fit over 100lbs of grain in the hopper at a time.

image-1994453801.jpg

image-2029289413.jpg

image-3360197732.jpg

image-3609015868.jpg

Great! Just cleaning up. Lots of little hiccups and way short on hoses and fittings but we made do! All in all pretty flipping awesome!

image-2929797556.jpg

image-644602816.jpg

image-3596866418.jpg

image-627175269.jpg

image-1348413101.jpg

image-3166694432.jpg

image-4053411288.jpg

image-2701626319.jpg

image-673606796.jpg

image-3009344027.jpg

image-2377575087.jpg

image-2758863042.jpg

image-3211618308.jpg

image-2367669968.jpg

image-2390621118.jpg

image-1595300065.jpg

image-3913387798.jpg

image-3245414785.jpg

image-4115552880.jpg

image-3398787548.jpg

Many thanks out to Chad (Chamuco) and Evan (Fastev) for all their help on the build and on the first brew day. It's alive and has now officially produced Beer (well wort anyways!)

SavoryChef said:
What did you brew and what was your efficiency?

40 gallons of Amarillo Pale. Efficiency was ~80%
Grain bill was 55lbs pilsner, 25lbs Munich, 10lbs 2 row. SG was 1.064

And the best part of the brew day was seeing the BCS in action as a PID during the boil. 45 Gallons of boiling wort is pretty nerve racking watching for a boilover on a new system! The BCS cycled the elements and was set for 213 degrees, nice vigorous boil and no chance of boil over. Also the hood performed well and the garage was comfortable to work in with the door closed for the entire brew day. Mix in a little award winning Saison (thanks Chad!) and it was a pretty awesome brew day!

marcb Nice job and thanks for all the pictures. I am sure somewhere you have explained what that smaller round screen in your boil kettle was for. I guess its to keep the hops out of your wart but it must be a pain to clean. My second commend is you filled your brew kettle to with 1-2 inches of the top and it looks like a boil over waiting to happen. I know you hand no boil over this time but do you plan of running your BK that full all the time?

Boar Beer said:
marcb Nice job and thanks for all the pictures. I am sure somewhere you have explained what that smaller round screen in your boil kettle was for. I guess its to keep the hops out of your wart but it must be a pain to clean. My second commend is you filled your brew kettle to with 1-2 inches of the top and it looks like a boil over waiting to happen. I know you hand no boil over this time but do you plan of running your BK that full all the time?

I've got another thread on the hop baskets so you didn't miss anything here. It is basically a 12" diameter 22" long 300 micron filter. It is super easy to clean and makes cleaning out your plate chiller a snap. The plate chiller I used is a brazetek monster that I acquired used, it took six cleanings to get the hop gunk out. I actually did not intend to fill the BK that high, just got busy doing other things and forgot that is was filling the BK! Fortunately Chad was there and called it out or that would have been disastrous. I plan on filling it about 4-5 inches from the top although this was awesome proof that electric brewing works well, the BCS cycles the elements and won't let it get above 213 so no boil over is possible.

marcb said:
I've got another thread on the hop baskets so you didn't miss anything here. It is basically a 12" diameter 22" long 300 micron filter. It is super easy to clean and makes cleaning out your plate chiller a snap. The plate chiller I used is a brazetek monster that I acquired used, it took six cleanings to get the hop gunk out. I actually did not intend to fill the BK that high, just got busy doing other things and forgot that is was filling the BK! Fortunately Chad was there and called it out or that would have been disastrous. I plan on filling it about 4-5 inches from the top although this was awesome proof that electric brewing works well, the BCS cycles the elements and won't let it get above 213 so no boil over is possible.

Oh, and the stainless hop basket gets hosed off and is old as new, I don't even bother to PBW soak it as it goes right back into the boil!

Thanks
For our plate chiller we run PBW back through it when we are sending the hot PBW to the conical for cleaning and that keeps them clean. But Ya cleaning a plate chiller that's gunked up can take time.

And the best part of the brew day was seeing the BCS in action as a PID during the boil. 45 Gallons of boiling wort is pretty nerve racking watching for a boilover on a new system! The BCS cycled the elements and was set for 213 degrees, nice vigorous boil and no chance of boil over. Also the hood performed well and the garage was comfortable to work in with the door closed for the entire brew day. Mix in a little award winning Saison (thanks Chad!) and it was a pretty awesome brew day!

Congrats...truly happy for you...i feel like if i also got to enjoy it since I've followed your post as others too

Must have been a joy to brew in such a beauty!

So Marc, ya gotta confess...... maybe I missed it.

Whatcha going to do with all that beer? Seems an awful lot for 3 fellas to share, seeing that you seem to brew all the time!

I am sure you have plenty in the pipeline, much more than three average beer drinking homebrewing guys can drink.

Must have been a joy to brew in such a beauty!

So Marc, ya gotta confess...... maybe I missed it.

Whatcha going to do with all that beer? Seems an awful lot for 3 fellas to share, seeing that you seem to brew all the time!

I am sure you have plenty in the pipeline, much more than three average beer drinking homebrewing guys can drink.

Incredible build that has me drooling, but Marquez raises a good question...

Carlyle said:
Incredible build that has me drooling, but Marquez raises a good question...

It's been answered earlier in the thread somewhere but I can't remember where....

I'd like to go pro on a very small scale and do local keg only distribution. Given that I have an attached garage it may not fly, even with separate entrances. Now that I'm brewing again (my stock has been totally depleted over the past couple of months of non-brewing) with at least one brew day per month I should be right as rain. With 20 gallon batches we would still run out or god forbid only have one beer on tap at a time (gasp!) We go through lots of beer at the house and I can always ratchet down batch sizes and only use half the brewery to keep things rolling. I just didn't see the point in merely doubling batch size again so I figured I would kick it up a notch or two and continue to learn and grow in this obsessive hobby. Make sense?

So a rookie mistake on first brew day (no temp reading on output of plate chiller!) led to higher starting temp than desired (72 instead of 65) which is resulting in a fermentation that is hotter than intended (peaked at 75). All of this occurred in a temp controlled room at 65 degrees. Neighbors actually did me a favor by complaining about the external garage AC noise when run all night so I started just leaving the side garage door open which got the garage down to 58 and brought the fermentation back down to about 70. Will be incorporating stainless coils into each fermenter for glycol pumped through for temp control.

I am interested in your temp control system as I might be building one my self. We are just moving from 1bbl to a 2bbl system. Our current system in a temp controlled room (68-70F) has been working fine. We have just filled our new Blichmann with 75 gallons of wort and are currently monitoring the temperature.

Boar Beer said:
I am interested in your temp control system as I might be building one my self. We are just moving from 1bbl to a 2bbl system. Our current system in a temp controlled room (68-70F) has been working fine. We have just filled our new Blichmann with 75 gallons of wort and are currently monitoring the temperature.

What blichmann fermenter takes 75G?

Sure, will do. Looking to do 50ft 1/2" stainless coils attached to the 12" TC lids. Heating will also be provided via a heat blanket or barrel heater hooked to a relay and fired from the BCS like the glycol pumps.

Its a new add on from Blichmann it takes a 42 gallon conical and makes it into a 96 gallon one

And thanks i will watch your temp control build

CRAZY! Is that the same add on that attaches to the 55 gallon kettle to make it 100?

No its something new. The Blichmann have that removable top and we just add the middle section. The add on for the BK is something different.
This conical is about the same height as a 2bbl Stout tank but will take pressure and you can take it apart to clean and inspect it.

Boar Beer said:
No its something new. The Blichmann have that removable top and we just add the middle section. The add on for the BK is something different.
This conical is about the same height as a 2bbl Stout tank but will take pressure and you can take it apart to clean and inspect it.

I think that is awesome, especially if you've already invested in their stuff. Nobody else gives you a migration path for larger batches: 27-42-96! Mind if I ask what that extender costs?

Yes it better than throwing out your old stuff and buying new again and again.

about $650 for just the extension piece.

And for fermentation temperature on our first batch we got about a 7 degree temp rise on 75 gallons over our room temperature. While everyone would like to have 100% control this will probably be good enough for us as long as the next batch repeats consistently. Will be watching over our range of 9 beers and see how things go.

Back