home malting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Reaction score
I am curious how many people make their own malt and why?

I started for the simple reason, I live in a rural part of South Africa, we do have fantastic malt in the country, but my base malt triples in cost when shipping is added to the total. literally it cost 299 for 50lb and 800 for shipping to the town I live in. Local farmers plant barley so it just makes economic sense for me to malt my own, rather than pay through my ears.

Why did you start making your own malt?

I malt my own because i've been 'cut off' before....and when Inbev bought miller coors, pretty much making them a monopoly, i got spooked...so i started malting my own....it did save me some money also, now i can brew a 8%ABV 10 gallon batch for 8-9 US dollars....

It's about the same total price here in the U.S. for a sack of base malt shipped.

i had that thought too...but that was kinda how i got cut off, the local brew pub stopped being willing to sell me bags, and i got priced out...(thankfully, i met some people that frequently took trips to the bay area, so i didn't have to drink hard liquor for THAT long ;))

It's about the same total price here in the U.S. for a sack of base malt shipped.

I think average salaries in SA are somewhat lower than in the US.

As for malting your own, yes it can be down but it's a lengthy process, it's not easy and don't expect to get the same quality malt you'd get by buying from a commercial malthouse.

I think average salaries in SA are somewhat lower than in the US.

As for malting your own, yes it can be down but it's a lengthy process, it's not easy and don't expect to get the same quality malt you'd get by buying from a commercial malthouse.

lengthy, yes. hard no....just like brew day, just waiting....only PITA is deculming....

Back