Home Brewing (may have) Helped Save My Life!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timuel

Reaction score
Hello from Bucks County, PA!

So, I've been meaning to write this up for some time, and I figured now might be a good time since I'm sitting in a hospital bed, bored and high on some pretty good drugs :)

Anyway... I've been lurking on the site quite a bit (and have learned a TON... thanks!) since getting back into homebrewing maybe 6 months ago, after a ~10/yr hiatus to have the family, get divorced, etc. etc. etc. When I decided to get back into brewing, I went to the new Keystone Homebrew Supply store in Montgomeryville, PA and one of the guys walked me through getting everything I needed, without any annoying or unnecessary upselling tactics (you'll see why I mention this later). I promptly went home and did a 2 batches in just the first week and was instantly re-hooked.

By the second batch, I was starting to get a sore throat. I didn't think much of it due to the cool weather, etc. and didn't bother going to the doctor. A few batches and at least a month later the sore throat persisted (and I started getting some other weird symptoms) so finally went to see the doc.

Towards the end of a thorough once-over, the doc starts feeling around the right side of my neck witha a perplexed look on his face, mentions something like "that's not right" and sends me to get an ultrasound of my thyroid right away.

Long. story. short... since I wasn't upsold Star San the month prior, I'd been mixing huge batches of iodophor with my entire arm, soaking the kitchen and my gear with it (not to mention a number of times that I unintentionally soaked my clothes too).

The sole purpose of the thyroid is to process iodine -- and I had spent much of the prior month, in effect, feeding it "steroids". This apparently caused it to swell and make some very large cancerous tumors externally palpable as well as press against my vocal chords and some other misc. nerves.

Without getting into too many gory details, when the biopsy came back after the first operation, it showed that it was likely only days or weeks away from getting completely through a major artery and spreading through the bloodstream. I'm fairly certain that if I hadn't been practically bathing in iodophor for a month, I wouldn't have ended up at the doctor until after it was too late.

So, anyway... IMO this brings new meaning to RTADBHAHB. Thanks, Guys (and gals)! :mug:

Wow.. crazy story. A good friend of mine survived thyroid cancer a few years back.
Glad you're getting better!

How close to the Quaker town farmers market are you? There's a homebrew store in there with decent prices

Great story! That is crazy how your diagnosis unfolded. There has got to be a great name in there somewhere for a brewery name.

It's always good to have another PA native on the boards!

I am also glad you are ok, but wanted to make you aware that we do sell spoons and paddles.............you seem like a prime canidate.

Welcome to the board, and interesting story. I work with a lot of patients who have survived thyroid cancer. Cancer of any sort sucks - but if you have to get any type of cancer, thyroid is the way to go. It has one of the highest survival rates out there. I've never known anyone to die of thyroid cancer, but lots who have survived it. I've never heard of anyone OD'ing on iodine to that extent, but could totally see how it would happen. Iodine is volatile, so just using it normally would expose you to lots of it when you breathe it in.

Glad the surgery went well - next up will probably be the ablation with I-131 (which is a highly radioactive form of iodine - think of how well that stuff would sanitize!) Don't worry about the scar - chicks think scars are sexy.

Welcome to the board, and interesting story. I work with a lot of patients who have survived thyroid cancer. Cancer of any sort sucks - but if you have to get any type of cancer, thyroid is the way to go. It has one of the highest survival rates out there. I've never known anyone to die of thyroid cancer, but lots who have survived it. I've never heard of anyone OD'ing on iodine to that extent, but could totally see how it would happen. Iodine is volatile, so just using it normally would expose you to lots of it when you breathe it in.

Glad the surgery went well - next up will probably be the ablation with I-131 (which is a highly radioactive form of iodine - think of how well that stuff would sanitize!) Don't worry about the scar - chicks think scars are sexy.

thanks! yea... it seems to run in my family. i wasn't quite a well off as some of my relatives though. the largest was about 11cm (not mm) and out of around 12 foci, 2 had made it through. if it ended up anywhere else, if i understand correctly, they should still be follicular cells and if not completely abladed by the RAI, they should lite up like a christmas tree so prognosis should still be pretty good.

Latest posts

Back