Home Brew System Build and Equipment Comparisons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_CraftBeerTraders

Reaction score
I decided it was time to upgrade my home brew system from the traditional 5 gallon batch gravity fed Igloo system that we all have known to love. With all the different manufacturers out there, system choices and equipment choices I decided I should do a dedicated thread on our build and our choices. Over the next few months I will post up comparisons between equipment and photos of my progress as I build what I would consider my ultimate home brew set up.

The system size that I will be building is a 20 gallon set up and I plan on doing comparisons of Kettles, Mash Tuns, Conical Fermenters as well as accessory choices like HERMS vs RIMS, whirlpool options, heat sources, chilling options etc. Basically document the process of building a home brew setup and all the choices along the way.

Cheers!

Joe

Kettle Comparison - Chapman Brewing, Ss Brewing Technologies & Spike Brewing

One of the first pieces of equipment that is usually upgraded is the kettle. With so many manufacturers of kettles how do you know which is right for you? We decided to take a look at the most popular kettles on the market and do a side by side comparison. Since we are building a 20gal system we took a look at the 20gal kettles for the comparisons. Currently (as of June 2016) the more popular manufacturers that are being purchased and discussed (on home brew forums) are Spike Brewing, Ss Brew Tech and Chapman Brewing. We are going to look at each of the kettles and compare the major feature sets of each kettle. Those feature sets will be the Material its made of, where the product is manufactured, the physical features of the kettle, the accessories that are included and the cost.

IMG_4959.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg

Material

An important characteristic that is commonly over looked or just assumed. With the large amounts of kettles out there to purchase, the material of which the kettle is made should be part of your decision. Kettles can be made from Aluminum, Copper or Stainless Steel but all the major Home Brew specific manufacturers use Stainless Steel. However, there are multiple grades of Stainless Steel. 201, 304 and 316 are the most common and are ranked from lowest grade to highest grade respectively. Comparing the Kettles: Chapman Brewing is made with 201 while Spike Brewing and Ss Brew Tech are made with 304. In fact, ALL major home brewing and commercial brewing manufacturers use 304 Stainless Steel. It is the industry standard. In my opinion, this takes Chapman Brewing out of the competition as it really cannot be compared to the rest as its a lower grade Stainless Steel. 201 has lower amounts of Nickel and Chromium which are the elements that make stainless steel corrosion resistant. Thats why you see 304 used more in marine applications, its more corrosion resistant than 201. 201 is about 30% stronger than 304 however it is harder to form and weld. You will see 201 used in the restaurant business because its cost effective. However, 304 Stainless is used across the entire brewing industry. From the big commercial producers like Stone, Budweiser, Sierra Nevada down to the home brew manufacturers like Spike, Ss Brew Tech, Bru-Gear and Blichmann. Companies who have Millions of dollars invested in equipment as well as Millions of dollars invested in research and development. I find it hard to believe that a new company funded from a kick starter has found that 201 stainless is better to use in brewing than the industry standard of 304. Thats a hard sell. 201 stainless is an inferior metal than 304 stainless and is used to cut down production costs. Period.

Material.png

Origin of Manufacturing

Honestly, everything these days is manufactured over seas. Kettles are no different. Chapman, Spike and Ss Brew Tech all manufacturer their equipment over in China and have it shipped here to the US. The only major difference between all the manufacturers (that we are comparing) is that Spike Brewing fabricates here in the USA. What does that mean? The manufacturing process of kettles is fairly straight forward, the walls of the kettle is a single sheet that is seam welded together to make a cylinder. A circular bottom is then welded to the bottom to form the kettle. Up to this point all companies manufacturing are done the same way. Ss Brew Tech has weldless fittings and the holes for the weldless fittings are punched out in China during the manufacturing. Spike Brewing has welded fittings and those are installed by Spike here in the USA. Spike cuts the holes where needed (based on your configuration) and then hand welds each fitting. So, each companies kettles are manufactured in China, Spike has an extra step of fabrication here in the USA.

Origin.png

Kettle Features

The kettle features are what we really want to compare. We are going to go through each manufacturer and list out the features that they have on their kettles as well as compare them with each other. The most important features of the kettles are actual kettle volume, construction of the kettle bottom, welded or weldless fittings, number of ports and volume markings. Each manufacturer has some additional details or nice to haves which we will list out as well.

Chapman

Chapman Brewing kettles are made from 201 stainless steel with 1mm walls and a 5mm thick tri-clad bottom which is induction capable. The handles on the kettle are welded on and are positioned front and back. There are a couple things that I don't like about this set up. First, the welded handles look a bit flimsy and id be nervous trying to carry a full kettle with the handles and the welds snapping. Second, the front back positioning is not my favorite. If you have ever tried to carry a full or partially full kettle with front back handles, you have experienced the bloody shins. Trying to walk while carrying the kettle, you constantly kick the ball valve with your shin. There are 2 welded 1/2" NPT ports welded on the kettle. These welds were pretty jenky and the cuts in the kettle were rough and honestly ugly. Take a look at the pictures to see for yourself. The volume markings are pressed on and go up to 18 gallons. So the kettle itself is a 20 gallon kettle but its 20 gallons to the rim. So this kettle isn't for 20 gallon batches but for 15 gallon batches. Also, the volume markers are very hard to read. They honestly look like the vinegar etching blog post we did a while back. I really was not impressed with this kettle.

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

Ss Brew Tech

Ss Brew Tech kettles are made from 304 stainless steel with 1mm walls and a 5mm thick tri-clad bottom which is induction capable. The handles on the kettle are riveted on and positioned on the sides and have a nice silicone grip on them. You can also hang the lid on these handles. There are 3 weldless ports on the kettle. The volume markings are etched and go up to 20 gallons. The total kettle volume is approximately 22.5 gallons and you can brew a full 20 gallon batch. The etchings are black in color and very easy to read.

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

Spike Brewing

Spike Brewing kettles are made from 304 stainless steel with 1.2mm walls and a 5mm thick tri-clad bottom which is induction capable. The bottom has a stepped and domed design to aid in trub collection and cleaner transfers. The handles on the kettle are riveted on and positioned on the sides and have a nice silicone grip on them. You can also hang the lid on these handles. There are 2 welded 1/2" NPT ports on the kettle (TC available at additional cost). The volume markings are etched and go up to 20 gallons. The total kettle volume is approximately 22.5 gallons and you can brew a full 20 gallon batch. The etchings are black in color and very easy to read.

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

Kettles.png

Included Accessories

Some manufacturers include accessories such as ball valves and thermometers and some don't. Lets take a look at what each manufacturer provides with their base purchase price.

Chapman

Chapman includes 2 welded 1/2" NPT ports equipped with a 1/2" ss 3pc ball valve and a thermometer. This kettle is usable right out of the box.

Ss Brew Tech

Ss Brew Tech includes 3 ports, 2 ports are plugged with stainless steel compression fittings, the other port comes equipped with a 1/2" ss 3pc ball valve, bulk head, and also includes their pickup tube / trub dam. Additional accessories are available for purchase. This kettle is usable right out of the box.

Spike Brewing

Spike Brewing includes 2 welded ports 1/2" NPT ports (TC ports are available for additional cost). Additional accessories and ports are available for purchase as well as customization. This kettle is not usable right out of the box. You will need to purchase a 3pc ball valve as well as a plug for the 2nd port.

Accessories.png

Cost

Cost sometimes can be confusing because its like comparing apples and oranges some times. Each manufacturer has a base price but that price can include accessories or it could not. So you have to sit there and try and figure out which one you are getting a better deal on. Well we are going to look at cost 2 ways. First we are going to look at the price that the manufacturers base price. Those prices are with what accessories are included by the manufacturer (see above section for included accessories). All of the manufacturers we are comparing offer Free Shipping with your purchase.

BaseCost.png

Next we will build the kettles to be identical so we can see the price difference. This will include a 3pc ball valve, a Thermometer (non Flexing) and a pickup tube. For Chapman Brewing you would need to buy a pick up tube, however, they do not offer one for purchase. You would have to source that on your own. For Spike Brewing you need to purchase the 3pc ball valve ($25), the thermometer ($25) and the pickup tube ($25 for the stubby). For Ss Brew Tech you need to purchase the thermometer ($27.50) and the thermometer bulkhead ($12.50).

BuiltCost.png

Looking at these prices its pretty clear that Chapman Brewing isnt the economical kettle that they claim to be. Its actually more expensive after you buy your pick up tube than Spike Brewing and Ss Brew Tech and its 201 ss not 304 ss. You are paying more for a lower quality product. Spike and Ss Brew Tech are close in price and the main difference between Spike Brewing and Ss Brew Tech is the welded vs weldless fittings. Lets take a deeper look into Spike Brewing vs Ss Brew Techs Kettles.

Spike vs. Ss Brew Tech

We put these kettles side by side and looked over every inch of the kettles. To be honest, these kettles are 99% identical. The kettle height and width are exactly the same. The handles are exactly the same with the same material grip just with a little different shape. The lids are slightly different (different stamp) but the handle on the lids are the same. The two main ports are at the exact same height from the bottom. There are only a couple differences.

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

Kettle Bottom

Spike has a different design bottom which they call their stepped bottom. Ss Brew Tech has a traditional flat bottom. Both bottoms are tri-clad and induction capable so there are no differences there. But Spikes stepped bottom is a pretty cool design. The step allows trub to collect in the center lower section and the pickup tube to pull from the clean raised lip. The downside to this design is there is some increased dead space (approx .3 gal) which honestly is not that big of a deal. The bottom also has a domed shape with the center being slightly higher than the rest. This lets the trub to settle a bit more flat across the bottom and also allows a cleaner pickup should you use their center pickup tube.

IMG_4664.jpg
IMG_4922.jpg

Volume Markings

Both kettles come with etched internal volume markings. Ss Brew Techs markings are in both Gallons and Liters and goes from 3 gallons to 20 gallons at gallon increments. The markings are centered on the back of the kettle and are nice and dark as well as very clean looking. Spikes markings are in Gallons only and goes from 2 gallons to 20 gallons at gallon increments. The markings are shifted to the left side of the back of the kettle and are black as well but there are some areas that are a little faded and its not as clean as Ss Brew Techs.

IMG_4964.jpg
IMG_4965.jpg

Pickup Tube

The pickup tubes have some differences between the manufacturers. Ss Brew Techs trub dam / pickup tube as mentioned before is included with the base price. It is a compression style tube that you push into the bulkhead that Ss Brew Tech designed for the 3pc ball valve. The tube is a 1/2" tube that has a 90 deg bend and blade / dam welded to it at the bottom. The dam has a silicone blade that forms a tight seal to the base of the kettle. The design is similar to something you see in commercial whirlpools where after whirlpool the trub is in the center of the kettle and while draining the dam will stop the trub from entering the pickup tube. The wort is drawn in from the sides of the dam. Spike Brewing has a few options when it comes to pickup tubes. They have a stubby which is a short pickup from right under the port, a side pickup and a center pickup. The side pickup also doubles as a whirlpool arm. All their pickups are made from 5/8" tubing with welded 90 deg corners. Benefits of the 5/8" tubing is faster draining than the 1/2" tubes. They all also screw into the port and have a compression fitting so that you can adjust the pickup if needed. They are also laser engraved with the name of the attachment on it as well. They are very very nice looking.

Finish

The finish is slightly different between the two. Spike has more of a polished look to it while Ss Brew Tech has more of an industrial raw look to it. I think here it comes down to preference but really its a moot point.

IMG_4959.jpg

Welded vs Weldless

This is really the big difference between the two manufacturers. Ss Brew Tech is weldless while Spike is welded here in the USA. So what are the benefits of each? Welded ports are stronger and some would say safer as you wont spring a leak mid boil and have hot wort on the floor (or on you). Not saying that weldless will leak but there is that slight chance that welded doesn't have to worry about. One other benefit people talk about with welded is its more sanitary. I honestly think that's a moot point when it comes to kettles because you are boiling wort in it and that is sterilizing in it self. You would clean welded and weldless just the same. Actually I think it would be easier to clean weldless because you could disassemble the bulk heads and throw them in a nice bath, however, with weldless there is more to disassemble. Spikes welded option you just screw off and on the ball valve and therm. The major benefit to weldless is the ability to customize your kettle. It is a lot easier for you to drill a hole in your kettle and install a weldless bulkhead than it is to find a welder and get a port welded on. You also run the risk of the welder laying a crappy weld or over heating the kettle where you would need to clean and re-passivate the kettle. Spike Brewing offers customization when purchasing your kettle so you can have them put ports any where you want but you need to know before hand what you want to do. If you don't, you can always ship the kettle back to Spike and they will weld on ports as you request. Obviously there is a cost associated here. There are upsides and downsides to each and it really comes down to your preference. I do not think there is a clear cut one is better than the other.

IMG_4963.jpg
IMG_4962.jpg

Summary

Here is a summary table of everything we looked at for the kettles in one easy to read place. Hopefully this will help you make a decision on which kettle is right for you. It sure did for us!

Summary.png

Here is the link to the blog post on our site http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/choosing-the-right-kettle-comparison/

It has been 5 days?? Where is the write-up?

This sounds interesting, but what the OP's idea of and ideal system is would be far different than mine. I want to go electric so that everything is inside. I do not envision ever going bigger than 10 gallons and probably no bigger than 5.

Right now it is a toss up between a 3 vessel system or a BIAB like the Grainfather or Brew-Boss. I don't think I will be doing much piecing together of a rig. I would want a controller kit or pre-assembled.

I'm still writing it up. There's a lot to compare between the kettles and the options the manufacturers offer. As I mentioned this is what I would consider the ultimate build for my ideal setup. There are going to be people who like their 5 gal batch sizes and BIAB might be an option their considering. For me I'm upgrading from 5gal to something bigger. We'll see if that is electric or gas in the future but for right now we're gonna take a look at kettles and see where we go from there

It has been 5 days?? Where is the write-up?

This sounds interesting, but what the OP's idea of and ideal system is would be far different than mine. I want to go electric so that everything is inside. I do not envision ever going bigger than 10 gallons and probably no bigger than 5.

Right now it is a toss up between a 3 vessel system or a BIAB like the Grainfather or Brew-Boss. I don't think I will be doing much piecing together of a rig. I would want a controller kit or pre-assembled.

its now posted sorry for the delay lol :tank:

Another viable consideration in a well made kettle is versatility. Having an induction ready kettle really costs no more than the alternative non-core kettles. Another consideration is material thickness. A heavier material will maintain heat better than the thinner material. I'm not knocking any of the subjects you chose for your comparison, however, when you're dropping several thousand into an electric brew system (I personally prefer HERMS) your brewery will only be as strong as the foundation it's built on.

You haven't really stated whether you will fabricate your own kettle and based on your choices for comparison but it appears your headed in turn key components so you limit some of these choices.

I purchased one of these kettles and the quality was unbelievable.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/100...s-steel-stock-pot-with-cover/922SSPOT100.html
I was more than impressed with its durability at such a competitive price.

When I do move into a larger 25 gal. kettle it would be nearly impossible to compel me to make a different choice in a kettle. I am able to fabricate in a commercial SS fab shop though.

Another viable consideration in a well made kettle is versatility. Having an induction ready kettle really costs no more than the alternative non-core kettles. Another consideration is material thickness. A heavier material will maintain heat better than the thinner material. I'm not knocking any of the subjects you chose for your comparison, however, when you're dropping several thousand into an electric brew system (I personally prefer HERMS) your brewery will only be as strong as the foundation it's built on.

You haven't really stated whether you will fabricate your own kettle and based on your choices for comparison but it appears your headed in turn key components so you limit some of these choices.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/100...s-steel-stock-pot-with-cover/922SSPOT100.html

When I do move into a larger 25 gal. kettle it would be nearly impossible to compel me to make a different choice in a kettle. I am able to fabricate in a commercial SS fab shop though.

I actually did cover those parts. Each kettle is induction capable and I listed the kettle thickness for each of the manufacturers. The route I am going with the system is still a bit unknown at this time but the kettles are easily modified to do whatever I want. Whether that be electric or gas, HERMS or RIMS or direct fire. They are all choices that haven't been made yet as I haven't evaluated them as this time.

When I do move into a larger 25 gal. kettle it would be nearly impossible to compel me to make a different choice in a kettle.

About the only knock I've found on these stock pots is the height/width ratio... I've got what is essentially a 60-quart equivalent of this, and I ABSOLUTELY agree on the quality and value for the price. One greenlee knockout punch later and I can add whatever valves I choose wherever I want. However... it is so wide that I feel like I am getting much more than my fair share of boil-off... not to mention that I've had to re-coil my IC so that it stays completely submerged and doesn't lose efficiency.

Agree with you 100% on the quality and value but thought that was one aspect worth mentioning for folks to consider. :mug:

Just my opinion, you guys should check out the brewer's hardware kettles too. I have the 15g customized, all TC look and perform great

Great write up on the kettles. I'm comparing the SS Brewtech and spike kettles on my own and this laid it out nicely.

Just bought a Ss Brewtech 20 gallon it'll be here on Thursday with thermostat, coupler and hose barb came out to be 321.90$ eeek

Still have quite a way until I get my rig set-up .. He's gonna have some good inspiration!

For the budget minded I just picked up a Concord kettle for $90 for a 15 gallon. 1mm wall, bottom construction not mentioned but it is very solid. No markings for gallons(I can punch that myself easy enough). 304 18/8 stainless construction, solid riveted handles... I am debating between using it for my boil kettle or moving my M2 15 gallon from NB to boil duty and using it for the mash tun... I need to add a thermometer for mash tun duty.

Just bought a Ss Brewtech 20 gallon it'll be here on Thursday with thermostat, coupler and hose barb came out to be 321.90$ eeek

Still have quite a way until I get my rig set-up .. He's gonna have some good inspiration!

The Brewtechs look like a good bang for the buck right now. I'm finding it hard not to pull the trigger on the 10 gallon, but the 15 gallon is tempting. Its nice to already have a whirlpool port drilled and it comes with everything you need to brew out of the box.

The Brewtechs look like a good bang for the buck right now. I'm finding it hard not to pull the trigger on the 10 gallon, but the 15 gallon is tempting. Its nice to already have a whirlpool port drilled and it comes with everything you need to brew out of the box.

I recommend it.. everything is so solid.

View attachment 1466125120659.jpg

I have a new post to put up for the Insulated Mash Tun comparison but cant figure out how to edit my reserved posts... did that feature disappear?

Next in our ultimate build is mash tun decision. We decided to take a look at both insulated and converted kettle mash tuns. This post we will specifically look at the insulated mash tuns. Since we are building a 20 gal system we took a look at the 20 gal insulated mash tuns for the comparisons. Currently (as of July 2016) the more popular manufacturers that are being purchased and discussed (on home brew forums) are Ss Brewtech and Chapman Brewing. We are going to look at each of the insulated mash tuns and compare the major feature sets of each. Those feature sets will be the Material its made of, where the product is manufactured, the physical features of the mash tun, the accessories that are included and the cost.

IMG_4669.jpg

Material

We covered the importance of material in the Kettle comparison but we will reiterate it here because of its importance and that its commonly over looked or just assumed. The most common insulated mash tuns are manufactured using Stainless Steel, however, there are multiple grades of Stainless Steel. 201, 304 and 316 are the most common and are ranked from lowest grade to highest grade respectively. Comparing the Mash Tuns: Chapman Brewing is made with 201 while Ss Brewtech is made with 304. ALL major home brewing and commercial brewing manufacturers use 304 Stainless Steel. It is the industry standard. In my opinion, this takes Chapman Brewing out of the competition as it really cannot be compared to the rest as its a lower grade Stainless Steel. 201 has lower amounts of Nickel and Chromium which are the elements that make stainless steel corrosion resistant. That's why you see 304 used more in marine applications, its more corrosion resistant than 201. 201 is about 30% stronger than 304 however it is harder to form and weld. You will see 201 used in the restaurant business because its cost effective. However, 304 Stainless is used across the entire brewing industry. From the big commercial producers like Stone, Budweiser, Sierra Nevada down to the home brew manufacturers like Spike, Ss Brewtech, Bru-Gear and Blichmann.

Material-1.png

Origin of Manufacturing

Honestly, everything these days is manufactured over seas. Mash Tuns are no different. Chapman and Ss BrewTech all manufacturer their equipment over in China and have it shipped here to the US.

Origin-1.png

Features

The mash tun features are what we really want to compare. We are going to go through each manufacturer and list out the features that they have on their mash tuns as well as compare them with each other. The most important features of the mash tun are actual volume, false bottom design and draining, heating source, number of ports and volume markings. Each manufacturer has some additional details or nice to haves which we will list out as well.

Chapman

Chapman Brewing Thermobarrels are made from dual walled 201 stainless steel with a foam insulation. This mash tun does not support direct heat from an external heat source. The lid is insulated as well and has a handle that is recessed into the lid. The lid also has 3 clips/latches so that you can securely tighten the lid onto the vessel. The handles on the mash tun are positioned on the sides and are collapsible. There are 3 ports on the mash tun, one for the 1/2"NPT 2pc ball valve which comes standard, a port that is plugged for a thermometer, and a port that is plugged for recirculation which is positioned about 2 inches from the top on the front. There are no volume markings inside the mash tun, however, looking at the height it seem as if the mash tun can hold 20 gal maybe right up to the rim. As for draining and filtering, the ThermoBarrel comes standard with a torpedo tube which is simply a braided stainless steel tube. Chapman does offer an upgrade to a domed false bottom with a center pickup. The false bottom, however, does not fit across the entire bottom of the mash tun.

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

Ss BrewTech

Ss BrewTech's InfuSsion Mash Tun is made from dual walled 304 stainless steel with a foam insulation. This mash tun does not support direct heat from a flame but does support heat from their optional accessory the MTSS (Mash Tun Temp Controller and Heating Pad). The lid is insulated as well and has a silicone coated handle. The handles on the mash tun are positioned front and back and are riveted and also silicone coated. There are 3 ports on the mash tun, one for the 1/2" NPT 3pc ball valve which is included, a port for the LCD thermometer which is included, and a port that is plugged for recirculation which is positioned about 2 inches from the top on the side. Volume markings are etched and go up to 20 gallons at 1 gallon intervals. Total mash tun volume is around 22-23 gallons. The InfuSsion Mash Tun has a 5 degree slopped bottom with a center drain that allows for no dead space. The center drain also provides a more uniform rinse of the grain which will provide a better efficiency of extraction. The false bottom sits across the entire bottom of the mash tun and has a silicone gasket to form a tight seal to the walls of the tun. This ensures that all wort must travel through the false bottom in order to be drained out the center drain. The InfuSsion Mash Tun also includes a manometer. A manometer is a way of measuring pressure differential, in this case the pressure difference below and above the false bottom. As a brewer, this allows you to monitor your flow rate and prevent stuck sparges. This mash tun was definitely engineered to perform.

20160726_082109-e1469540806628.jpg

20160726_082115-e1469540685751.jpg

20160726_082119-e1469540439125.jpg

20160726_082124-e1469540400219.jpg

20160726_082112.jpg

20160726_082247.jpg

20160726_082236.jpg

20160726_082128-e1469540362253.jpg

20160726_082131.jpg

20160726_082252.jpg

20160726_082258.jpg

20160726_082225.jpg

20160726_082141-e1469541146290.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

Features.png

Lets take a deeper look into Chapman vs Ss BrewTech and really compare the features between the two.

Volume & Markings

Right off the bat Chapman's ThermoBarrel does not have volume markings, Ss BrewTech's does and goes up to 20 gal at 1 gal increments. As far as total volume of the mash tun, Ss BrewTech has some more head space after the 20 gal marking which probably puts the total volume around 22-23 gal. Chapman's does not, without the volume markings its hard to tell the total volume but looking at the height and size of the mash tuns next to each other its clear that Ss BrewTech holds more volume. Chapman's is probably 20 gal to the rim.

IMG_4669.jpg

20160726_082128-e1469540362253.jpg

Lid

Both Ss BrewTech and Chapman's lids are insulated. Chapman has a pretty cool design that includes 3 hooks and latches where you can lock the lid down on the vessel. One thing we did notice about the design though is that it can be annoying to get all 3 hooks and latches lined up to lock down. Chapman's lid has a recessed handle while Ss BrewTech has a welded handle with a Silicone Grip. I am personally not a fan of the handle design on Chapmans lid, its a tight fit to get may fat hand in there to grab the handle. The great thing about Ss BrewTech's handle and lid is that you can hang the lid on the side handles. Chapman's you cannot do that. The Ss BrewTech lid also weighs a bit more and has a cleaner look than the Chapman lid.

IMG_4624.jpg

20160726_082236.jpg

False Bottom / Filtration

This is where there are remarkable differences between the two companies. Chapman's ThermoBarrel does not include a false bottom, it comes with a torpedo tube. Torpedo tubes to me are a cheap easy way to get the job done but are not efficient. Chapman does offer a false bottom for upgrade for $50 but what does that get you? It gets you a 10" domed false bottom that does not even cover the entire bottom of the Mash Tun. When the false bottom doesn't cover the entire bottom of the mash tun you have portions of the grain bed that just sit stagnant. The wort that is being run through the grain will channel more through the center leaving sections of the bottom outer edge of the grain bed under utilized thus lowering your efficiency and extraction levels. The entire point of upgrading a mash tun is to increase efficiency and temperature control. Chapman succeeds in the later with doing a nice job maintaining temperature. Ss BrewTech's InfuSsion Mash Tun is completely on the the other side of the spectrum. First, the base of the mash tun has a 5 degree sloped conical bottom with a center drain which provides NO dead space. That means you can run every ounce of water out of the mash tun (although you wouldn't ideally want to do that). A false bottom (which is included) is a flat false bottom that has a handle and a silicone gasket that seals against the inner wall. This ensures that all wort runs through the false bottom for filtering. Also, with the conical bottom and flat false bottom design you get even filtering across the entire grain bed which will help improve efficiency and extraction levels. Ss BrewTech had really thought this through and designed an awesome vessel.

IMG_4629.jpg

20160726_082258.jpg

Handles

The handles on these are very different. They are of a swinging type that can lay flat compared to Ss BrewTech's which are riveted on and have a silicon grip. You can also hang the lid on the handles of Ss BrewTech. Chapman you cannot. If I had to move a full mash tun with grist inside, I think the Chapman handles would not be comfortable and id be nervous if they would hold. That is my assumption and was not tested so come to your own conclusions on that.

IMG_4627.jpg

20160726_082247.jpg

Direct Heating

Both units do not support direct heat from fire or induction, however, Ss BrewTech has a removable bottom plate that allows you to install their MTSS system. The MTSS is a temperature control unit that connects to a heating pad which is attached to the bottom of the vessel and will aid in keeping the temperature of the mash within 2 degrees of the set temp. Granted with an insulated mash tun you are only loosing maybe 1-3 degrees over the course of an hour, but this is an awesome feature should you be interested in doing kettle sours or sour mash beers. The MTSS however does not support increasing temperature for doing things like step mashes. Chapman does not have an accessory that does that.

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

Weight and Quality

Comparing the two mash tuns it honestly night and day difference. Ss BrewTech's InfuSsion Mash Tun is heavier and just feels a lot more robust. The finish on Ss BrewTech is nicer and the attention to detail and thought behind each component is unbelievable. When I saw Chapman's ThermoBarrel in a stand alone the product looked great, but when it was placed next to Ss Brewtech it did make the Champan unit look a bit cheaper. The bottom of this ThermoBarrel was severely dented and had this white powder substance falling out of it which could have been a product of shipping or misuse. That being said the fact that it dented that bad makes me wonder how thick the stainless walls are. The area around the ports looks like they are bent from the plugs. I cant tell you if this is a design or a defect as all the photos I have seen of the Chapman ThermoBarrels have this, but it makes it look like it was bent from over tightening.

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

Included Accessories

Some manufacturers include accessories such as ball valves and thermometers and some don't. Lets take a look at what each manufacturer provides with their base purchase price.

Chapman

Chapman includes a 2pc ball valve and a torpedo tube for the filtration. Those who aren't familiar with a torpedo tube, its basically a stainless steel braided line that is connected to a pickup tube. They are a cheap quick way to filter for a mash tun, however, they are not efficient at all and leave a lot of dead space.

Ss BrewTech

Ss BrewTech includes a 3pc ball valve, a digital LCD thermometer, a manometer for measure pressure differential and a false bottom with a sealing silicone gasket.

Accessories-1.png

Cost

Cost sometimes can be confusing because its like comparing apples and oranges some times. Each manufacturer has a base price but that price can include accessories or it could not. So you have to sit there and try and figure out which one you are getting a better deal on. Well we are going to look at cost 2 ways. First we are going to look at the price that the manufacturers base price. Those prices are with what accessories are included by the manufacturer (see above section for included accessories). All of the manufacturers we are comparing offer Free Shipping with your purchase.

BaseCost-1.png

Next we will build the mash tuns to be identical so we can see the price difference. This will include a 3pc ball valve, a thermometer, a manometer and a false bottom. All of this is included in the price for Ss BrewTech. For Chapman Brewing you would need to upgrade to the 3pc ball valve ($5), buy a domed false bottom ($50) and buy a thermometer ($15). As for a manometer, Chapman Brewing's ThermoBarrel does not support one and looking at the design would be very hard to rig one up on it.

FullCost.png

Looking at the prices to me Ss Brewtech stands out for the fact that you are getting 304 stainless instead of 201 stainless. For $50 you are getting a manometer as well as better engineered features like the conical bottom and false bottom. When investing this amount of money into equipment Id rather spend the extra $50 for the all around better quality and better engineered product, that again is just my personal opinion.

Summary

Here is a summary table of everything we looked at for the mash tuns in one easy to read place. Hopefully this will help you make a decision on which insulated mash tun is right for you. It sure did for us! In our next post we are going to take a look at converted kettle mash tuns.

Summary-1.png

here is the original post on our blog

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/choosing-a-mash-tun-part-1-insulated-mash-tuns/

Just adding my 2 cents: I recently purchased a couple of Spike kettles and one from Ss. The quality and welds on the Spike are excellent. The Ss was quickly relegated to HLT duties. I'm not bashing the Ss, there's nothing wrong with it. But having them side by side I was really impressed with the Spike kettles.

Back