Holy STEAMPUNK Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGH

Reaction score
I just watched this program on the Steampunk scene! I could not think of how anything is more Steampunk than AG brewing. If you are not sure what it is you should google or wikipedia it. I was wondering if anybody on here was into it or crafted any steampunk gadgets. Im not really about to get into it or anything like that, but I can say from what I see its pretty cool. Im sure now that since it was on G4 the scene will die out due to trendy kids exploiting it.
EDIT:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, if you arent sure what it is I found this and it pretty much sums it up. Ladies and gentlemen, Steampunk.

steampunk.jpg

I think There is one beer related steampunk thing on the Brass googles steampunk blog, but I can't recall..

Brass Goggles

If not on the blog itself, there might be something in the steampunk forum.

The Steampunk Forum - Index

I do vintage 1800's re-creation Base Ball, which is somewhat steam punkish because we dress in victorian attire.

I'm planning on doing a re-creation of an 1800's ale recipe for this season, and did a "stempunkish" label for it.

Curative_tonic_copy.jpg

But it would be cool to do an all copper steampunkish brewery...

Steampunk's been around for at least a decade, if not more, so I don't see it going anywhere becasue G4 finally covered it.

Thats awesome. I saw that it started happening around '87. I can't really think of anything more unique than 1800's base ball recreation. Just when I thought I knew a little bit about everything I realize I only know a little bit about a little bit. I had plans for a mead with Ginseng in it. Kind of a goal i plan on getting around to. The recipe I found is called "Snake-Oil". That label is something like I had envisioned going on it. I did a search on here for "Steampunk" and found someone that said that they had a plans for a steampunk Keggerator. I e-mailed them to see what came of it, but no reply yet.

Here's what urbandictionary says about steampunk:

Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction, usually set in an anachronistic Victorian or quasi-Victorian alternate history setting. It could be described by the slogan "What the past would look like if the future had happened sooner." It includes fiction with science fiction, fantasy or horror themes

Personally, I think the movie Wild Wild West with Wil Smith in it is an excellent example of steampunk.

This was my introduction to Steampunk, back in 1990

difference_engine2.jpg

The Difference Engine is an alternate history novel by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. It is a prime example of the steampunk sub-genre.

It posits a Victorian Britain in which great technological and social change has occurred after entrepreneurial inventor Charles Babbage succeeded in his ambition to build a mechanical computer (actually his analytical engine rather than the difference engine).

Thats a pretty sweet site. It looks like they are doing a lot for the HB world. I would be interested in checking out there brews and there brewery. I wonder if any of those guys are on HBT. I can say Im curious to see what the "Distinctly Southern Style beer" is all about. Thats a pretty sweet find Rev. They start getting all "anti-beer establishment" FIGHT THE POWER!

:off:

The Difference Engine is an alternate history novel by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. It is a prime example of the steampunk sub-genre.

An amazing book, IMHO. Gibson tends to reside in the Cyber-Punk genre (he also coined the word "microsoft,") but Sterling introduced a whole new level to his work.

Revvy, if you liked that, you might also enjoy Neuromancer by Gibson, or pretty much anything by Roger Zelazny. Sorry if that came off like an Amazon.com ad, but I'm a huge Gibson/Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi fan. :D

With out a doubt the best ipod charger in the world.

Steam Powered iPod Charger | The Steampunk Workshop

lie to me i dare you.

It is pretty friggin sweet. It really inspires me to follow my dreams of studying Electrical engineering when I get out of the Army. I think thats what I draw most from the whole steampunk scene is inspiration. I'm diggin it.

No worries llamma, not off topic at all.

Steampunk has a cool vibe that seems to hit home with DIYers. I think its the excitement of invention and pioneering new ideas, which is increasingly attractive in a prepackaged, drive-through world. My first real taste of it was the movie Steamboy (ok, fine, I'm a bit of an anime nerd).

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we saw prolific steampunkery a la renaissance festivals.

Steampunk has a cool vibe that seems to hit home with DIYers. I think its the excitement of invention and pioneering new ideas, which is increasingly attractive in a prepackaged, drive-through world. My first real taste of it was the movie Steamboy (ok, fine, I'm a bit of an anime nerd).

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we saw prolific steampunkery a la renaissance festivals.

That would be awesome, I am sure that they have Conventions. We should all dress up SteamPunk and Crash a renaissance festival!! Even if you didnt participate in it, there would be all kinds cool stuff to buy i bet. Google the steampunk USB. I thought that was a little more affordable then the computer and keyboard! I will be checking out that flick in addition to Revvys book. Im not an anime guy, but I liked what I have watched.

+1 to Steamboy. I'm not a huge fan of the whole Steampunk genre (although I do admire and respect greatly those with the skill and dedication to make these things!) Not even really a huge Anime fan, although I do have a few selections that I enjoy, mostly the classics. That being said, Steamboy was definately worth watching for anyone who's interested in Steampunk. Good flick.

Also, Steampunk is cool, but it's no Cyberpunk. :p

:off:

An amazing book, IMHO. Gibson tends to reside in the Cyber-Punk genre (he also coined the word "microsoft,") but Sterling introduced a whole new level to his work.

Revvy, if you liked that, you might also enjoy Neuromancer by Gibson, or pretty much anything by Roger Zelazny. Sorry if that came off like an Amazon.com ad, but I'm a huge Gibson/Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi fan. :D

Dude, I learned about steampunk, THROUGH cyberpunk...I've read Neuromancer 10 times. And just about every other of Gibson's early work at least 5 times.

Dude, I learned about steampunk, THROUGH cyberpunk...I've read Neuromancer 10 times. And just about every other of Gibson's early work at least 5 times.

:mug: to that!

Personally, I'm just now getting to the point where I forgive Keanu Reeves for what he did to the Johnny Mnemonic movie. :eek:

This is the first I've ever heard of steampunk; very cool. It made me think of one of my favorite bands, the Decemberists. I think a steampunk brewpub would be incredible, but then, as with so many things, the public would come in and ruin it.

I wish my friends in college had gotten in to this instead of larping.

I wish my friends in college had gotten in to this instead of larping.

Heh, your friends are LARPers. :p

Haven't they seen Mazes and Monsters? That movie alone should be enough to scare them off of it. It's a cautionary tale! (I love that movie, it's HILARIOUS, and it's meant to be such serious business.)

Edited: I'm a big pen-and-paper RPG fan too (yes, make your DnD jokes, I'm used to them) but I drew the line at LARPing.

How far will the Steampunk spiral take me? Whats this LARping you speak of? It appears to be like DnD, I never got into DnD. However I did play magic a little bit. I would have to say the "nerdiest" thing i am into right now is the MMORPG City of Heroes. I have been playing in between deployments for about a year now. Is it like Vampire the masquerade, LARping that is. I have a guy in my unit that was into that. Sounding cool, but like a little much.

EDIT: Yep, just like I thought. Live Action Role Playing. VPM as my buddy put it. I think I would probably spectate before I made a decision on that one. I have never seen it go down before, but he told me some crazy tales.

LARP = Live Action Role Play. Instead of sitting around a table playing DnD or V:tM (Vampire: the Masquerade) they dress up like their characters and act everything out.

It is... disturbing. Normal table-top V:tM, on the other hand, is 100% pure fun. DnD is about 80% fun with a 10% margin of error, based on which edition you're playing, quality of players, and how skilled your GM is.

yeah, that sounds pretty crazy. I did play Magic, which I have heard is somewhat shunned/sneered at among the DnD kids.
Anyone play City of Heroes on PC? Great game! I have to force myself away from it to brew and hang with my daughter and SWMBO.

Meh, I played magic up until I was about 12, then just sort of lost interest when I picked up pen and paper RPGs. I don't have anything against Magic, and some of my Vampire/DnD players have been avid Magic players as well.

If anything, maybe a bit of friendly rivalry, but nothing serious....

You nerd. ;)

lol. the geekiest I get into gaming-wise is Settlers of Catan... I guess we all have our "thing."

Is that another RPG? Nothing wrong with having your thing. City of Heroes is kinda my nerd vice. I have gotten some weird looks when I talk about brewing with non-brewers. Then I usually pour them a pint from the keg and they realize whats going down. I get pretty geeked out on anything I get into.

Since this seems to have become a semi-offical nerd thread, I don't feel bad about the off topic stuff anymore.

How's City of Heroes treating you? It's one of maybe 3 of the big MMOs I haven't played. I just migrated from Warhammer to EVE, and I'm liking it so far. A bit boring, and a HUGE learning curve, but mining ore all day is pretty zen.

sounds pretty sweet. My buddy that got me into CoH also plays alot of magic. He almost got me back into it. But then I would have blown all my money on cards and thats not really a road I wanna go down with SWMBO. She happily supports my brewing fixation, I know she would be cool if I got into magic again. but I have to many hobbies.

CoH is Awesome man. They just released Issue 14 (patch). I swore I would never pay for a MMO, but my buddy pretty much forced me, and now Im hooked. I played another MMO that was free, and I cant even remember the name now. I never got into WoW, which is pretty good from what I hear. If you decide you want to get into it, hit me up on here and i will give you a few million, and show you the ropes. We had a vent server, and plan on getting another one soon. SNARF, my nerd is showing.

Well, I started off on MUDs, which were the original text-based MMOs for the uninitiated, and played those until Everquest came out. Played that for a bit, then back to various MUDs until Star Wars Galaxies came out. They changed the hell out of that game, and dropped the learning curve and customization (back in my day, Jedi was something to dream about, not something you got to pick at character creation! :mad:), so I left that and wandered for a bit. I played WoW, and ran a raid guild there, then left for Dungeons and Dragons Online. Had to support my boy Gary Gygax, after all. I got to a point where I had basically "beat" the game, having completed pretty much everything there was to do, and got tired of waiting for new content. Left that, and went to Warhammer which was VERY disappointing at the end-game level.

So yeah, I'm basically trying out EVE for now, but it doesn't seem to have enough to really draw me in. Maybe I'll try out CoH if EVE loses it's glamour as quickly as it's seeming to. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know. Is there a particular server I should head to?

</nerd>

The thing about CoH is that with Issue 14 you create your own content. You make your own missions, and publish them for anyone to try. People rate them, etc. you can litterally fly anywhere, if you pick that to be your travel power. Plus creating the Heroes is pretty sweet. I pretty much made a steampunk character before I realized that there was a term for it. Nothing better then busting out the 'ol 40 oz Mug, filling it up with whatever i got on tap and screwing around on CoH for a bit. I havent even got into CoV yet. There is a lot to the game.

Well, I started off on MUDs, which were the original text-based MMOs for the uninitiated, and played those until Everquest came out. Played that for a bit, then back to various MUDs until Star Wars Galaxies came out. They changed the hell out of that game, and dropped the learning curve and customization (back in my day, Jedi was something to dream about, not something you got to pick at character creation! :mad:), so I left that and wandered for a bit. I played WoW, and ran a raid guild there, then left for Dungeons and Dragons Online. Had to support my boy Gary Gygax, after all. I got to a point where I had basically "beat" the game, having completed pretty much everything there was to do, and got tired of waiting for new content. Left that, and went to Warhammer which was VERY disappointing at the end-game level.

So yeah, I'm basically trying out EVE for now, but it doesn't seem to have enough to really draw me in. Maybe I'll try out CoH if EVE loses it's glamour as quickly as it's seeming to. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know. Is there a particular server I should head to?

</nerd>

I play on the Justice server.

Back