Holy Lord!! 7.0 GE chest freezers @ HD for $170?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, thanks.
That info makes me much more inclined to enjoy a home brew or 2 while working on this tonight. :mug:

I was just out looking at a 7cf GE at Sams Club during my lunch break. It was almost $200. (like $197) Then I come back and see this thread. I think Christmas is coming early for me!

Is this chest freezer on sale or is this the regular price? I might have to pick one of these up to begin my kegerator build!

This price is an unlisted sale price meaning that it is not technically a sale but the price is greatly reduced.
These normally sell for $219. You can buy it right now for $168.
For some reason right now the 7cuft is cheaper than the 5cuft.
This price works both in store and on line and yes, shipping is free.
Nice Shooter! :)

Damnit!!!! I bought the 5.0 cu ft last week and they are delivering it tomorrow. I am not looking to build a keezer at this point just add'l storage. I wonder if I can switch the order since both are in stock in the store. Any HD employees out here want to chime in?

I just got back from HD to measure the inside depth. It was 27" 3/4, but I think the bulge in the lid will make it 27" 1/4. Is this tall enough to fill ball lock kegs without a collar? I want to be able to wait a while before I build a collar. When I called mlhs they thought that would be too short, but they sounded unsure. Is the height of different ball lock kegs variable? I haven't ordered a kegging system yet, but I don't want this deal to pass me by. Thanks for the info.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, you can get 4 ball locks in the freezer without a collar with just enough room for the hoses to sit on top of the kegs.

IMG00010.JPG

IMG00011.JPG

And yes I know I have a mold problem atm.

Picked one up yesterday and it's jugging away keeping yesterday's batch nice and cool. Thanks for the heads up on this. $168 here in Oregon.

I took a look at this chest freezer at my local HD yesterday. I measured from the compressor hump to the lid and it was about 17". I'm going back to HD to buy this chest freezer today and was thinking about building a collar using a 2x10 so that I could fit another corny keg on the compressor hump leaving me with 5 total in the freezer. Has anyone tried this? Thanks!

I looked through the manual at the store and didn't see the inside dimensions.

I took a zip tie that was the same width as my 6.5g carboy which I thought was 12 inches and it was exactly 2 lengths of that wide and about 14-15 deep.

:off: Suppose that would work, but why not walk over to the tool section and borrow a tape measure for two minutes? Trust me, they won't mind ;)

:off: Suppose that would work, but why not walk over to the tool section and borrow a tape measure for two minutes? Trust me, they won't mind ;)

Yeah I know I am weird, I was actually going to take my cheapy .99c harbor freight special tape with me but couldn't find it.

Here is a pic of this freezer with a 6.5G carboy and 6G better bottle in it.

P1050559-800.jpg

Sounds like you may have. :(

I figured this would not last very long. So just out of curiosity, how many people now have new chest freezers?

By my count it looks to be at least 6. :rockin:

I wish I could put my name on the last of "I've got a new freezer" folks but <sigh> it's not a good time right now.
I would like to find one that could hold four buckets so I could get a group of lagers going at one time but...

Keep watching craigslist, I got this very freezer for 50$ and ~15$ in gas several months ago in mint condition.

Deals always pop up, just not always when you want them to.

Can someone fill me in why people get a freezer and covert it to a fridge insted of just getting a fridge? Is it price or size or what?

sub-zero,
A chest type container (freezer) holds more kegs than a stand-up model since you're only limited by width & depth; height, which you have more of in a fridge, is not an issue.

I picked up one of these chest freezers due to this thread. Can't wait to convert it to a keezer!

Mine was delivered yesterday. I have the collar built and stained. Planning on three taps right now. :)

Just out of curiosity what type of heater did you get? I just bought a Brewers Edge heating pad today for my new ferm camber that I built under my workbench. I'm hoping it does the trick.

I have everything to build my collar for my freezer. The Love controllers are on the way and kegging stuff was ordered today. I am going to hold off on getting shanks/taps because I want perlicks and to get 2 would be an extra $100. Christmas is coming. ;)

Cheers to everyone who was able to snag one at the good price. Post up pics when you get yours finished. I'd love to see them. :D

Just out of curiosity what type of heater did you get? I just bought a Brewers Edge heating pad today for my new ferm camber that I built under my workbench. I'm hoping it does the trick.

I have everything to build my collar for my freezer. The Love controllers are on the way and kegging stuff was ordered today. I am going to hold off on getting shanks/taps because I want perlicks and to get 2 would be an extra $100. Christmas is coming. ;)

Cheers to everyone who was able to snag one at the good price. Post up pics when you get yours finished. I'd love to see them. :D

I got a FermWrap from B3. It wraps around your carboy - should be more efficient I'm hoping.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16674//The_FermWrap_Heater

and, sadly, i missed the $170 deal, but $198 is still not bad! Delivery is this saturday...

I'm in the same boat. It will be great to see the different ways people finish out the freezer with so many people having the same one.

The Red Oak collar is built (overbuilt) just waiting to route out the recesses for the hinges, stain, wood putty, and seal it.

The love controller is here but I didn't have any luck finding spade connectors that were the same size as what GE uses. I will rebuild everything with bullet connectors so if I ever go back it will be plug and play.

The shanks and taps will have to wait until Christmas or until funding permits.

I look forward to seeing what people come up with.

So my little monster is pouring beer. :D

Nice job!! What height collar did you use (looks like 2x8) and does the extra height allow room for a cornie on the hump? If not, would a 2x10 be enough? And, it looks like you used fairly stock hinges for the double hinge - any issues with the gasket binding / not sealing?

Thanks!

Nice job!! What height collar did you use (looks like 2x8) and does the extra height allow room for a cornie on the hump? If not, would a 2x10 be enough? And, it looks like you used fairly stock hinges for the double hinge - any issues with the gasket binding / not sealing?

Thanks!

I have this fridge and yes a 10" collar will allow for an additional corny on the hump for 5 total

I would use a 2x10 if you are planning to put a keg on the hump. The 2x8 is just a tiny bit too short. Depending on which corny kegs you have you can fit 3 or 4 without using the hump.
I had no issues with the gasket binding. The lid fits quite nicely on top of the 2 by and it seals great. The lower seal where the wood meets the freezer is D profile weather stripping I picked up at the hardware store. I have not noticed any sealing/leaking issues. I also have my probe in a bottle of water and my temp stays at a nice 42* even if you open the door to mess with stuff.
I used black door hinges for the lid on top and I used the stock hinges to attach the collar. The hinges will hold up fine. Remember you won't have it open very often and that those hinges have pretty strong springs in them.
Hope that helps.

Back