Holy Efficiency Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so my second AG batch.. I was worried about my efficiency last time (first AG batch was 60%) So I Added 1.5# of 6 row and .5# Flaked rice (Japanese style lager), I sparged to 8 gallons in the keggle (that efficiency fear thing again).. plan to boil down to 5.25 (it's boiling as I post).. At 130 degrees from the mixed 8 gals in keggle I got 1.031 after conversion and checking it on recipator and promash (eval version) I came out with 96.5% efficiency :ban:

I was shooting for an SRM 2-3 the mash coming out looked like cloudy water, in the keggle it looks like light pee :D I think I succeded.

post boil was 1.049 it took a while to boil it to 5.5 gallons but the numbers are similar, The efficiency came out to 94.9% after the boil.. might be a bad hydrometer or maybe sparging to 8 gallons, or most likely the Flaked rice did real well.

So after asking a few people how the hell I got that and being told it was most likely a fluke I probably will never do again :( .. The consensus seems to be that the factors contributing were a loose grain bed from the rice hulls, The flaked rice, and the fact I used so much water to sparge it.

100% efficiency is "theoretical", so something that high is extremely unbelievable. If you did get that good of efficiency, you should of just kept it to yourself and be humble ;)

I would recheck your calculations, and if you are using software, make sure you speficy if it was all grain or extract.

I, myself has had efficency betwen 54% and 78% over the last 30 all grain batches I've brewed. And the 78% was a fluke becuase of the amount of honey I used.

:( Re Checked the numbers It was still a $$ mash but actually only 75% real efficiency

If you did get that good of efficiency, you should of just kept it to yourself and be humble
It was my second AG the numbers seemed too good to be true.. I came here looking for reasons,

My bud (a former brewmaster at local micro)failed to mention that his formula is from theoretical not actual potential efficiency so What I actually got was 94% of 79% apparent.. Too much math for me

Back