Holy Crap I've got a lot to learn!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
So this is where the beginners go for advice huh? Let's start with what I have and hope the Home Brew Gods don't off me in my sleep! I have the desire to brew my own beer, a place to do it, oh yeah, I do have a stove! Basically what I'm looking for is a plan. I want to go all grain out of the gates, or at least be set up to do so. I also would like to be able to produce 2 5 gal batches at a time since I LOVE IPA and my girlfriend is more the fruity/stout type. I'll continue reading as time permits but all suggestions are appreciated. I've seen all the kick ass set ups out there and have been drooling for the last 3 hours, but it's time to go to bed!

Having said that show it to me and I can build it, and like a lot of you I'm a cheap bastard too.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and drink one for me!

First read Here and then start making a list of what you have already that will do until better equipment comes along. Then start collecting the necessary items you absolutely have to get. Get your sanitizers and cleaners. I would make a nice hoppy ale (5.0 gallons using 10 LBS of 2 row and 1 lb of Caramel 60L Crystal malt, 1 OZ nugget hops for bittering 60 minutes and 2 ozs Cascade Hops at 15 minutes from the end of the boil, Total boil time 60 minutes. Use finings or 1 whirlfloc tablet the last 15 minutes. Chill it quickly to 65F and transfer to the fermenter and do not worry about trub as it hurts nothing and will settle out. Use Nottingham yeast for your first brew and try to keep fermentation at 62F for the first 3 days and then it could be 65F if 62F is hard to maintain. If you do this and are sanitary you will make really good ale. Leave it in the primary for 2 weeks and then keg or bottle with priming sugar(corn).

It's not hard to brew once you have everything and get help the first time if you can and you will make less mistakes and have more fun.

Enjoy :)

+1 to that. Also, buy this book. It's what most of us started off with, and it's extremely useful and easy to read. Most of us worry when we start this hobby, and it puts it very well to just relax. Don't worry. have a homebrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just made my first two attempts at brewing over the last couple days. I had picked up a Mr. Beer from Woot.com and a "real" kit from Midwest Supplies (Intermediate kit).

I came to this forum, I picked up "How to Brew" by Palmer. And it all seems so complicated. The sheer amount of acronyms and abbreviations you find on these forums is hugely frustrating (but there's a sticky up top that has links to places to find out just what people are talking about). Also, as much information is in Palmer's book, I decided to pick up Papazian's book (linked above), and it's helped a lot. In my opinion, it's much more newbie friendly.

Lastly, read a little, but most of all, buy a good starter kit and a recipe kit and brew. I had planned on going with a straight extract recipe, thinking it'd be a good place to get started. I ended up ordering a mixed recipe with grains and extracts. It came with directions, I also had the gist from reading the first chapters of Palmer and Papazian's books. Steeping in grains, hop pellets, and a jug of extract made it a whole lot more interesting than just a extract alone. I still don't know a lot. I'm interesting in trying all grain brewing some day soon, but I don't even know where to start. But just the act of making your first batch helps you a ton. It's not as intimidating as it initially appears to be.

Getting started is the hard part, and it does seem like a lot to learn, but once you get into it it almost becomes second nature. You quickly learn what does and doesn't work for you, and based on that you can upgrade gear as necessary; you don't have to go whole hog at first (and I don't recommend it). Once you have a basic system worked out you can then decide where you want to go next. Starting with extract is good as it gives you a feel for the process without having to consider too many variables or learn too much at once.

If and when you go all grain or partial mash, software like BeerSmith helps immensely in recipe formulation, as does having a copy of Daniels's Designing Great Beers.

Back