Holy Cloudy Cider Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D the Catastrophist

Reaction score
This was my attempt at cider using store bought juice:
1 gallon Treetop brand pure pressed juice from honeycrisp.(this was the most cider like I could find with no preservatives and started with that nice brown color real ciders have).
2 Granny Smith apples, shredded and bagged.
1 cup strong Earl Grey Tea(2 bags).
K1 yeast(activated per instructions).

Starting SG was 1.046.
Removed shredded apple after 1 week when SG was 1.00.

Racked to secondary today and boy is it cloudy. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to settle out. I plan to rack again and add priming sugar once it clears a bit.

This was the starting juice.

chrome_screenshot_1657650362353.png
This is it after racking.
20220712_134917.jpg

Too late now, but did you use any pectic enzyme? I use it though they say I don't need to with store bought juice, but most all use it with fresh apple/juice.

Give pectic enzyme a shot. It is better to use prior to fermentation, however I’ve had good results post.
There’s no risk in trying.

Others might be able to shed some light on this but I had a similar experience making some Grahams English Cider a couple of years ago. I used a similar cloudy bought juice (called Nudie, because that is what it is... apple juice and nothing else). Black tea and pectinase was added at the start and I expected it to finish clear.

No matter what I did, it simply didn't clear... some reaction with black tea perhaps???? But, it tasted fine!

Pectic enzyme helps a lot. In my experience, clearing takes a few months in secondary/bulk aging. I usually bottle my ciders about 6 months after starting fermentation.

I have some pectic enzyme on the way, so I'll probably hit it with that. I also have some sparkoloid that I might use as well later on. I have never used fining agents so this will be a learning experience :p

I let it sit for a few more days as I was waiting on both the pectic enzyme, and the 1 gallon fermonster which can actually fit in my fridge. Dosed with the pectic and have had it in the fridge for about 72 hours now. For the first 48 I couldn't really see any change. Now, it's still pretty cloudy but I can see the lee's starting to accumulate so will see what some more time does. I want to add priming sugar late next week to give them two weeks to build carbonation to have ready for dw's birthday, but that gives me plenty of time for it to clear up some more.

Putting it in the fridge can help suspended solids to settle out. But pectic enzyme works best at warmer temps (room temperature). So you might need to leave it out for a while to let that work.

some one can correct me if im wrong,but I belive if the juice was pasteurized the pectin is set and it will never get really clear.

I have used pasteurized grocery store apple juice, and the pectic enzyme still helped to clear it. I can get my cider crystal clear. But it takes 4-5 months of bulk aging before it is ready to bottle.

Back