Holidays, In-laws, and maintaining sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
What is everyone's favorite way to cope? I usually pack a 12 pack of good brew per day, and a fifth or more of good scotch or bourbon for backup. Sometimes this isn't enough.

All kidding aside, many weekends, and most holidays are spent at the lake at either my folks place or my in-laws. We all get along great, however I always end up going nuts by the end of day 3 or so if we are with the in-laws. They are great people, but they feel the need to include everyone in everything, and have very little awareness of anyone's personal space. Very specifically, this carries over into my ability to have privacy (any) with my wife. They are the type if family that thinks the best way to enjoy family time is for as many people as possible to be there, and to be as close as possible the entire time. In my opinion, they confuse quality time with quantity of time.

Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms plus a den area. Between the two bedrooms is a bathroom. The only way to lock the doors is to lock the bath entrance from the other bedroom, and there is no entrance from the hall. Most of the time only one bedroom is occupied, ours. In my mind, it is more than obvious that once we go to bed (which is never early) that no one would come through the other bedroom to use the restroom, especially considering there are numerous other bathrooms in the house. They obviously miss this (on my opinion) very obvious thing, which I think should be so obvious that it not need be mentioned. Because this happens my wife absolutely shuts down all advances because of the high probability of being heard/caught. She is also mortified of even bring up the subject with her folks, because the mention of sex is a completely taboo subject for them.

Another example, any time we end up at the same hotel they insist on paying (typically for a wedding or something). The kicker is, my mother-in-law always makes a specific request for adjoining rooms; which is my personal version of hell. Let’s be honest, post wedding sex is something to look forward to, and at the same time unlikely if you are sharing a wall with you in-laws. I am very grateful that they like to pay, though it is not a deciding factor on our decision to participate in an event or not. It’s the fact that my mother-in-law doesn’t realize that we can spend as much time as we wish together, even if we are staying on a different floor, or down the hall, while at the same time giving us the option of having time apart once we part ways for the evening. There is no additional “togetherness” to be gained by listening to one another snore. Once I was in charge of making the reservations. I made a point to make the reservations on separate floors. They happened to arrive before us, and made a point to pay for our room, and at the same time request to be put next to one another. I was put in the awkward position of holding my tongue, while my mother-in-law was all happy and excited that we would be close.

How can I convey the needed message without upsetting everybody, and making them think that I don't like visiting, while at the same time getting the message across? I want to convey that I like time apart, not for the sake of being apart, but for the sake of being with my wife, and us being able to be frank and open with one another, regardless of the bedroom implications. I just want the option. It’s basically like, tell me I can’t do something, and I will be pissed just because you implied that I couldn’t.

Every time the subject comes up between me and my wife she basically says, “why sex is so important ALL of the time.” My argument is that it should never be completely off limits due to others lack of respect for privacy, baring special circumstances (that don't allow for such) which should be VERY occasional. For the sake of caparison, when we visit the in-laws in their hometown (where they live during the week), it is fairly cramped. In this situation, I don’t even entertain the idea, as I know it would be awkward. At the lake is another story (nice large house). That said, we are typically only there 1-2 nights, no big deal.

Thankfully everything is good in this area when we are home, but damn, I am getting frustrated beyond belief.

Deep inside I feel like I could easily get my point across 1 on 1 with either my mother in-law, or father in-law, preferably not at the same time. The holdup is I am about 75% sure they would receive the message correctly; however the fact that we had the conversation would make it back to my wife, which wouldn't be well received.

It's only three days. Put up with it and enjoy the time with the family. You can get laid when you get home.

It's only three days. Put up with it and enjoy the time with the family. You can get laid when you get home.

I would agree, however come summer time my wife and MIL will sometimes stay there for 2-3 weeks (both are teachers and have summers off) and I go for the weekends. This isn't a once or twice a year thing, more like 2-3 weekends per month.

The best way to do it is go into the kitchen, grab a knife and "accidentally" stab yourself in the leg, you can kill several hours just by sitting in the ER, bring your phone, tablet, etc.....

You ever notice how crowded ER's are on Holiday's? "Accidents"...???........

Ahhh family, annoying until we don't have them anymore.

Go with the intentional stabbing. It sounds like a good plan. Charge your smart phone or tablet first though, the wait can be equally annoying once you've eaten your way through whatever stale food is in the vending machine.

Stand up and be a man and deal with it! You don't want your in laws on your bad side.

Is there a good side for the inlaws?

Great to be around, and generally good people. They just don't have the concept of private time apart from one another in their psyche. It's not just the sex thing, it is physically difficult to have a conversation without someone being right there. Tolerable for 1-2 days at a time, but it will grate your nerves any longer than that.

I think that it's origins are that they both grew up in very small houses with 3 siblings each, all close in age. I grew up in a large house where everyone had their own bedrooms & bathrooms, and if you ran out of space there you could just go roam around in the woods or fields, which were several hundred acres

You know, I have a brother in law who is an authority on everything. And when we all get together we get to hear all about the car/tv/stereo/golf clubs or whatever he ust got and how much he researched them as the best.
And the stories go on. I am usually deep into the house wine collection before he shuts up.
Latest item, this year was his new RV. OK me and the wife use a pop up trailer, 12 gs brand new, stores in the side yard, has all the built ins, shower, toilet, full oven, furnace, hot water heater, etc. sets up in 10 minutes, use it about 4 weeks a year. His new rig was close to 90 gs, has to store it in a storage yard, gets about 4 MPG downhill, needs a generator to be running to power all the appliances and tvs. You know he has used it once this year. But it is the best because............. walk to refrig for another house wine from the box.............back to the frig.......... outside to look at the mountains........... ok now I need a scotch.............no water in teh scotch this time..........oh good another brother in law just showed up abs he just went on to bother him.

Now do not get me wrong, I really love my inlaws, they are a great bunch of people, but I do not think that without alcohol I could ever deal with family gatherings. It is that there is just to many of them all at once.

I'm sure my wife would be resistant to having intercourse at her parent's house if people had to walk through the bedroom just to get to the bathroom. Of course, if there were plenty of other bathrooms in the house, I'd block the door with something and put a note on the outside that says, stay out.

Then again, we've had our moments at her parent's house, and I'm not talking about back when we were dating either. And that one time at our friend's house when my friend's wife had to walk through the spare room to let her dogs outside before bed. It's amazing how loud you are when you are buzzed, even when you are trying to be really, really quiet.

Your complaints both sound like those of my wife, so if you find any solutions, let me know!

Great to be around, and generally good people. They just don't have the concept of private time apart from one another in their psyche. It's not just the sex thing, it is physically difficult to have a conversation without someone being right there. Tolerable for 1-2 days at a time, but it will grate your nerves any longer than that.

My wife feels the same about my parents. Luckily we live a long way from them and don't see them often, but when we fly to Chicago we'll often get a hotel rather than stay with them. My parents don't understand why my wife would rather sleep in than be up for a 7:30 AM breakfast... :confused:

You know, I have a brother in law who is an authority on everything. And when we all get together we get to hear all about the car/tv/stereo/golf clubs or whatever he ust got and how much he researched them as the best.
And the stories go on. I am usually deep into the house wine collection before he shuts up.

Again, same way. Although this is my wife's sister's husband, not my brother, that is at fault. Unlike my parents, he lives much closer to us. I'm more than capable of tuning out the BS, but it grates on my wife's nerves something fierce.

I try and make sure to sign up for overtime, or trade shifts with guys that have family's.we don't have kids yet so I have no reason to be home on the 25th. That way we can space out the hoildays over two weekends and neither one of us has to spend that much time with the end laws. We both feel like each others family is nuts. I guess if your born into it they appear sane.

Latest posts

Back