Holiday Keezer Complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
DSC04912.JPG

DSC04913.JPG

DSC04914.JPG

DSC04918.JPG

I love the black and the temp control unit.

when I build mine im thinking of some stainless sheeting for the front where the taps are as my kitchen is stainless and black and we have room in the kitchen for it. "walking out to the garage is a PITA, put on your slippers, damn it where is my other slipper, its 30 degrees out there im not stepping on concrete bare footed"

im sure im not the first to think us using stainless instead of staining or painting wood.

-=jason=-

i also love the look and the temp controller in there. Great job

Thanks guys.
I used regular ol gloss black Rustoleum to paint it. I think it'll be ok inside, but in the sun the color doesnt look all that great.
I used red oak from Home Depot stained with MinWax. Didnt have a fine blade on my miter saw, so the miters were kinda rough. But I sanded them down and its not all that noticeable.
Also, the wiring diagram I looked up and used for the Love controller was for pre-2008, and completely different. Luckily it didnt burn up when I plugged it in.

nice build, I just ordered my holiday 7.0, what size collar did you use? large enough to fit a corny on the hump? and how did you build the temp controller!?

Thanks guys.
I used regular ol gloss black Rustoleum to paint it. I think it'll be ok inside, but in the sun the color doesnt look all that great.
I used red oak from Home Depot stained with MinWax. Didnt have a fine blade on my miter saw, so the miters were kinda rough. But I sanded them down and its not all that noticeable.
Also, the wiring diagram I looked up and used for the Love controller was for pre-2008, and completely different. Luckily it didnt burn up when I plugged it in.

speaking of such....is there a more modern wiring diagram floating around here that you've found since? i'm torn between the Johnson and the Love....I want the love, but haven't found a decent write-up/wiring diagram that i feel comfortable with.

Very nice looking keezer. Any particular reason you went with the Love controller vs. the Ebay aquarium controller?

nice build, I just ordered my holiday 7.0, what size collar did you use? large enough to fit a corny on the hump? and how did you build the temp controller!?

I used 1x6 red oak from Home Depot.
I think you'd need 1x10 to fit a keg on the hump. With 3 kegs on the floor, it is already pretty crowded. Plus, I use the hump to keep a de-humidifier and cup of star san to drop the beer/gas line disconnects into while changing kegs . If I wanted 4 kegs, I think I'd get a bigger freezer.

speaking of such....is there a more modern wiring diagram floating around here that you've found since? i'm torn between the Johnson and the Love....I want the love, but haven't found a decent write-up/wiring diagram that i feel comfortable with.

The Love is a quality unit and looks nice on the front of the keezer. A lot of times, the controller is what people comment on first. I liked it so much, I got a dual stage model for my fermentation freezer in the garage. The wiring on the single stage controller really wasnt bad at all.

Some links to help with wiring:
Love Wiring Diagram
Basic Home Wiring
HBT thread on love 2-stage. Similar to single stage.

Very nice looking keezer. Any particular reason you went with the Love controller vs. the Ebay aquarium controller?

What is the Ebay aquarium controller?

Did you use the original hinges to connect the Keezer to the collar, or purchase new hinges? I have the Holiday 5 cu ft design and plan on going with 1x8 red oak myself.

I want to know if the factory hinges can support the weight of the collar and freezer top. Ideally I'd like a double hinge design.

It appears that your collar is on hinges so I thought I'd ask. I don't want to drill new holes for hinges for fear of hitting a line.

Thoughts??? and BTW, this looks great. I dig it.:mug:

The factory hinges are very strong and spring loaded, so I reused them.

As far as whether to hinge the collar or just the lid with the collar permanently attached to the freezer body, its a trade off:

1. If you hinge the collar, when you open it all the tubing and faucets, etc. swing up out of the way allowing easy access to the kegs and CO2.
  2. With only the lid hinged, it does not swiing backward against the wall when opened. With the collar hinged, the keezer must first be pulled away from the wall ~6 inches to allow the lid/collar to swing backwards.

I'm glad I hinged the collar and would do it again. Its mildly irritating to have to pull the keezer away from the wall everytime you open the lid, but it makes for a very clean professional looking inside.

Back