Holiday Homebrew Gift Boxes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick

Reaction score
I made gift boxes to share homebrew with my family for the holidays, so I thought I'd post a few pics. I made the sides from 1/2" birch plywood, which looks pretty nice as beer crates go. I made rabbets in the front and back to help the pieces align. The front is a little shorter to accomodate a sliding lid, which is cut from 3/16" birch and incorporates a thumb hole toward the front. The bottom is 1/2" particle board that I had left over from last winter's flooring catastrophe. (Don't ask.) The bottom piece is a little wider than it is long, and fits into a couple of dado cuts in the sides to keep it from ever falling out. Everything is held together with wood glue and a few brads, and is quite solid as a result. Finally, I transferred the house logo using the laser printer & iron trick that I found elsewhere on HBT. The best transfers were generated by heating for a few minutes, rubbing hard with the edge of the iron, and repeating.

These were designed for 9 bottles. 7 3/8" square by 9 1/2" tall inside dimensions are about perfect for my bottles. You should check your own since a handful of mine are shorter/fatter and would need a wider box.

This project prompted me to come up with the name and logo. I have been meaning to do it for a while, and that might be my favorite part of the whole thing. Our critters have had a huge influence on our household, so I wanted to pay them homage. They come and go, but the best napping spots never seem to change.

Iso.jpg

Top.jpg

Inside.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Back