Holiday Ale - French Saison Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutchinator

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a holiday batch - based on Midwest Supplies Holiday Ale. Looking for something a little more "funky" and was planning on adding some late addition chocolate and orange peel - and couple this with the Wyeast French Saison yeast.

Am I treading in deep waters here? Or does this sound like a legitimate concoction?

Haven't tried chocolate in a batch like this yet, but orange peel and the yeast you suggest will make a great batch. I would steer clear of the chocolate, personally.

I like chocolate and orange together quite a bit in candy. Never tried it in beer, but I imagine it would be good if done right. Be careful with the French Saison... it'll take your beer dry as a bone.

It really depends on what you are looking for. The french saison yeast will strip out almost all the sweetness from your beer and will leave a bit of spiciness. I don't think that would go with the chocolate personally.

If you are a fan of dark chocolate, then it might be glorious (although it could be a bust too haha). That yeast will dry the hell out of your beer though

Thanks for the feedback...I am looking for that "funk" the saison should give and was planning on adding 2 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey + some additional hops to a) bring back some of the sweetness/citrus and b) the hops should keep it more "beery"

Thing is, saison yeasts don't give much "funk". Citrus, peppery spice, tropical fruit, sometimes banana are all common flavors from different strains, but nothing that I would really consider funky.

Back