Holiday 5 Cu.Ft. Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloBrews

Reaction score
Thinking about buying this project for my first keezer build. Wanted to check and see if anyone has used this and if it's a quality product. Also...how many ball lock kegs will fit with 5# Co2?

Thanks.
-Keezer New Jack

Thinking about buying this project for my first keezer build. Wanted to check and see if anyone has used this and if it's a quality product. Also...how many ball lock kegs will fit with 5# Co2?

Thanks.
-Keezer New Jack

I have had my 5.0 Holiday since about 2009 and still works fine. I put a 2x4 collar on the top so I could fit an additional 3gal corny keg on the hump with the Co2 tank. Otherwise, only 2 5gal kegs will fit...

I have a 5.0cf GE freezer that I converted. If you put a 8" or larger collar on, you can fit a 3rd 5gal corny on the compressor hump. I used 1x8 for the collar on mine.

I have had my 5.0 Holiday since about 2009 and still works fine. I put a 2x4 collar on the top so I could fit an additional 3gal corny keg on the hump with the Co2 tank. Otherwise, only 2 5gal kegs will fit...

Thanks for the responses, guys. If I were to knock the holiday collar up to a 2x8 or 2x10...would I then be able to fit a third 5gal ball lock keg on the hump with the Co2 tank?

Thanks!

Yep -- this is exaclty what I have done. Build at least an 8" collar (10" if you want to ensure a little extra room), and you'll be fine. I have 2 ball lock 5 gal cornie's in the lower, and 1 5 gal ball lock cornie on the hump in addition to my 5lb c02 tank -- clearance is perfect.

I'd measure everything up on your Holiday model just to be sure it will all fit as I described -- I know they vary slightly from make/model.

Yep -- this is exaclty what I have done. Build at least an 8" collar (10" if you want to ensure a little extra room), and you'll be fine. I have 2 ball lock 5 gal cornie's in the lower, and 1 5 gal ball lock cornie on the hump in addition to my 5lb c02 tank -- clearance is perfect.

I'd measure everything up on your Holiday model just to be sure it will all fit as I described -- I know they vary slightly from make/model.

Greatly appreciated!
:mug:

Howdy. This is my first post but I am also building my keezer from the same 5 cu ft Holiday. Picked it up from Lowes at 179.99 plus a 10% coupon and my 10 % military discount. I was measuring this morning to get the dimensions for for the collar and I came up with 20 5/16" x 28 3/8". Does this sound right? ( I am slightly hungover, so vision is askew)

I have a 5cu holiday freezer, I can fit 2 5 gallon cornie's on the floor, a 3Gal and 5lb CO2 w/ 3 gauges on the hump. Its a bit of a tight fit, but it works out well. Just need to add a 3rd faucet to my draft tower!

Anyone have pictures or dimensions of their build? I just picked up this freezer.

I finished my build using a 5.0 Holiday last week. Now, I might get ribbed for whats currently on tap (i.e. commercial brews vs homebrew). I have not had adequate time to homebrew due to the qualification process that the Navy has me undertaking. Now without further adieu, my build.
keezer2.jpg

Painted the freezer with 4 layers of chalkboard paint on the front and used an appliance enamel (non-spray paint) on the sides and back. After drying I installed LED ribbon lighting.
keezer1.jpg

I built essentially a collar frame out of plywood (1x8) and then built a a 3 sided frame out Cypress (1x9) that just fit right over the plywood frame.
keezer3.jpg

Stained and polyed the cypress.
keezer7.jpg

It has double hinges. I like this method as it allows the shanks to be moved out of the way. The cypress is attached with carriage screws and the 5" shanks.
keezer6.jpg

I need to add some insulation around the sides but I haven't had the time.
Also it will fit 3 1/6th commercial kegs or 3 cornys. The keg that sits on the hump will need a low profile sankey for commercial kegs. Cornys fit great but it is a tight squeeze. Also the plastic kegs some of the craft breweries are using are wider then then the metal versions. This is why it looks so packed.
keezer5.jpg

I hope this is able to help you and any others that may need it.

I finished my build using a 5.0 Holiday last week. Now, I might get ribbed for whats currently on tap (i.e. commercial brews vs homebrew). I have not had adequate time to homebrew due to the qualification process that the Navy has me undertaking. Now without further adieu, my build.
keezer2.jpg

Painted the freezer with 4 layers of chalkboard paint on the front and used an appliance enamel (non-spray paint) on the sides and back. After drying I installed LED ribbon lighting.
keezer1.jpg

I built essentially a collar frame out of plywood (1x8) and then built a a 3 sided frame out Cypress (1x9) that just fit right over the plywood frame.
keezer3.jpg

keezer7.jpg

It has double hinges. I like this method as it allows the shanks to be moved out of the way. The cypress is attached with carriage screws and the 5" shanks.
keezer6.jpg

Also it will fit 3 1/6th commercial kegs or 3 cornys. The keg that sits on the hump will need a low profile sankey for commercial kegs. Cornys fit great but it is a tight squeeze. Also the plastic kegs some of the craft breweries are using are wider then then the metal versions. This is why it looks so packed.
keezer5.jpg

Looks Great! Makes me wish I was better at wood working. That is the part I am nervous about. I just have no clue on how to attach all the wood to the freezer and get it to be the right size and everything.

The pilsner is quite delicious. I was originally picking up 1/6th keg of mamas lil yella pils but distributor ran out. I am thoroughly enjoying the Holy City though. The Blue Moon was my SWMBOs choice.

keezer2.jpg

keezer1.jpg

keezer3.jpg

keezer7.jpg

keezer6.jpg

keezer5.jpg

I am in the process of a similar build with the same freezer. I had not considered the double hinge idea, but now I think I will go that way. What did you use for the hinges? I assume you kept the original freezer hinges for the bottom collar and got a second set for the lid attached to the collar. Did you drill new holes into the lid to fit the new hinges?

Thanks for any help

Awesome job. This is exactly what I want to do. Can't fit a larger chest freezer down my basement steps, so I'm limited to the 5 cu ft. Might get started on something similar tomorrow (i.e. buy the freezer)

I have a 5cu holiday freezer, I can fit 2 5 gallon cornie's on the floor, a 3Gal and 5lb CO2 w/ 3 gauges on the hump. Its a bit of a tight fit, but it works out well. Just need to add a 3rd faucet to my draft tower!

Can you fit the 2 on the floor without adding a collar? Could a 6.5 gallon carboy fit down there?

Thanks!

Back