Hofbrau Dunkel - Share Your AG Recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyB029

Reaction score
I want to fill my 1-liter glass mug to the top with an ice cold, clear, dark amber colored, mouth watering Munich-style dunkel as similar as possible to the delicious Hofbrau Dunkel!

What all-grain, 5-10 gallon, lager recipes do you have to share?

I'm on such a German kick right now. Just finished brewing another O-Fest but want to top off the season with Dunkel recipe that I can keep brewing for years to come! This is my first post btw. Been absorbing knowledge from this site for a while! Thanks guys.

Munich malt with 2% or so carafa special for some color and a single addition of noble hops to around 25 IBU. You can add a small late addition but this style is not about hops. WLP 830 is good yeast choice.

Hofbrau's is a little lighter in color then most, so I do 100% Munich II and around 25 IBU's from a 60 minute bittering addition, you can use really any noble hop, or use perle, with 2308 Munich lager yeast.

Like they said, German Dark Munich and a little Carafa for the malts. I like to add a 20 min flavor addition of Hersbrucker (.5-1.0 oz) (Hallertau or Tettnang would be good too, maybe Saaz if you're a wild man), not strictly traditional though.

I think the real hard thing with this style is to end up with that crisp, dry maltiness. I think it really would help to keep the OG down (<1.050).

Call me crazy, but 2 packets of Saflager w34/70 will definitely get your fermentation done quick and clean with no starter (Mr. Malty Calculator recommends 7.37L starter for 5 G of 1.048 lager).

Pivovar_Koucky said:
Like they said, German Dark Munich and a little Carafa for the malts. I like to add a 20 min flavor addition of Hersbrucker (.5-1.0 oz) (Hallertau or Tettnang would be good too, maybe Saaz if you're a wild man), not strictly traditional though.

I think the real hard thing with this style is to end up with that crisp, dry maltiness. I think it really would help to keep the OG down (<1.050).

Call me crazy, but 2 packets of Saflager w34/70 will definitely get your fermentation done quick and clean with no starter (Mr. Malty Calculator recommends 7.37L starter for 5 G of 1.048 lager).

That crisp clean and lighter taste is what is so great about that beer. Their oktoberfest is like that also. I'll for sure make a starter but I'm glad you recommended dry yeast as well and I'm not apposed to using it. Maybe I'll mash lower too. Thanks

Edited based on feed back Thanks Pivovar_Koucky
See edited recipe below.

Edit 2: Even more simple switched out mittlefrue and Hersbucker w/ Perle.

I know this is an old thread but... as I plan on doing a HB (Newport, KY) Dunkel clone for my first BIAB/AG recipe I've tried to do some research into HB and Dunkels and here's that I've come up with.

In short keep it simple, simple, simple.
* Munich II >= 98%
* Carafa II <= 2%
* Noble hops (see note on hops below)
* Water profile to match Munich // Kai is a great reference on German Brewing.
* A clean/dry yeast

Note about HB's usage of hops:

"Brewing its world-famous beer, Hofbräu München uses four types of hops that are grown in Hallertau, a central Bavarian region: the bitter Herkules and Magnum varieties, and the milder, aromatic varieties of Hallertauer Perle and Select. ..."

Source:
https://www.hofbraeu-muenchen.de/en/brewery/making-beer/ingredients/

Here are some recipe that I've referenced for inspiration:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/297512/
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/343512/dunkel-ii-with-munich-ii-
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18176.0
(Amanda's recipe)
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dunkel

This is my plan for my HB Dunkel clone for 8.25gal of finished beer.
Calculated using: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

* 9.5 gal strike water //distilled and using the salts/chalk that Kai recommends in his Dunkel recipe posted above.
* 15lb munich II
* 0.5 oz Magnum (pellet) 60 min
* 0.4 oz Perle (pellet) 15 min
* Yeast W-34/70

OG=1.050
FG=1.009
ABV=5.50%
IBU=22.43
SRM=14.74 (Morey)

This being my first time using a brewing calculator and my first AG batch, it may have totally thrown the beer out the window because of my lack of familiarity with the hop strains I've looked at. I worry that it might be too perfumey*
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

What's the rationale for boiling the mittlefrue for 60 min? It's a fabulous aroma hop, but typical AA% is 2-4% (maybe a bit higher). If it's me I'd use Magnum or Perle for bittering and do Mittlefrue and Hersbrucker for aroma/flavor. Don't just change for me though.

What's the rationale for boiling the mittlefrue for 60 min? It's a fabulous aroma hop, but typical AA% is 2-4% (maybe a bit higher). If it's me I'd use Magnum or Perle for bittering and do Mittlefrue and Hersbrucker for aroma/flavor. Don't just change for me though.

That's an awesome question and thank you for asking it.
The only reason I was thinking of doing them all at 60 is because my research has shows that German brewing typically they never do late additions. If that is wrong then, awesome. I know that HB Dunkel isn't terribly aromatic so, I was trying to keep the IBUs while adding some aroma / flavour.
Would the aroma / flavour be completely destroyed at 60?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, thank you.

I see you're in Cincy, so perhaps you're familiar w/HB Newport?

HB Newport Dunkel (don't know how it varies [if any] from HB Munich) is by far my absolute favorite beer. But as I now live in FL, stopping by "the Haus" and grabbing a liter or two is simply not an option; unless I'm back visiting family. So, I'm trying to re-create this beer as my house beer.
I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to beer brewing (only did a couple kits and some extracts) so, I'm for sure still learning ALOT! Most of my experience has been w/ mead.

Again thank you for any and all input.

I'm obsessed with this beer. Trying to figure it out myself. I made a Dunkel once and it turned out "OK" but nothing like HB. I think I'll be going the simple approach next time with Munich II and Carafa. The foam though......That's part of what makes that beer awesome. It might be time for a protein rest......

Don't forget a small (1% charge of Melanoidin)

Just 100% dark Munich isn't dark enough for Hoffbraü dunkel EBC so definitely need 1% Carafa II (Don't want any roastines)

There is as well the option of doing a dunkell with 100% of Munich malt and it will be dark as well but you will have to do it the traditional way and make 2 to 3 concoctations. I wanted to try it but i mislabeled my grain and my red Oktoberfest became a black beer 😭😭. Still good but not what i was aiming lol so i will have to wait a little longer for my first traditional dunkel beer :)
I can only drink so much lol.

Back