HLT and MLT recommended sizes for 10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwirsing

Reaction score
I'm putting together my first brew rig and I'm looking for some advice. I'd like to be able to comfortably brew 10 gallon batches in a 3 tier gravity system. I have a regular short and wide 48 quart cooler I'd like to use for my HLT as the drain plug is broken, so it already has limited use as a cooler and I'd be taking the drain plug out anyways. I'm looking at a 48 qt Igloo Ice Cube or a 60 qt Igloo Ice Cube for my MLT. The 60 qt has a spout, the 48 does not. The spout in the 60 qt looks much higher than I'd like. I would be able to put the drain much closer to the bottom of the 48 qt and take advantage of a little divot on one side to really maximize my ability to drain without any tipping. Does it sound like either cooler would be adequate? Do you see any problems with a standard cooler shape for the HLT? Is there any reason the Ice Cube coolers would be inadequate?

I made one out of the 60 qt Ice Cube a couple of weeks ago. I made a copper manifold with a dip tube from the drain to the manifold.

With no solder on any joints, it will suck the cooler dry. It works great.

Also the cooler can double as a fermentation chiller.

I had a 48qt MLT for a long time and it worked out fine. It turned out that the batches I really wanted 10 gallons of were more the sessionable beers that maxed out at 1.060 OG. If I wanted to do some kind of imperial or barleywine, I really didn't need 10 gallons of it.

A 10gallon HLT is fine because you can heat strike and sparge water in separate batches and it's unlikely that either of those infusions will require more than 10 gallons.

I use a 10G Rubbermiad round cooler. I brew a lot of higher gravity IPAs, and the cooler is just not quite big enough for a 10 gallon batch. I find myself adjusting the mash thickness to fit everything inside of it. For brews 1.050 OG the cooler is fine, but 1.065 and above I seem to have to always adjust.

Ed

Latest posts

Back