Hit and miss equipment and ingredients. Looking for advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lozootmaniac

Reaction score
I have a keg, a one gallon jar, a co2 injector for dispensing with 4 co2 cartridges, And dispensing tubing with a beer gun, and brewing pot that's 4 gallons.

I have 8 lbs of honey. I have 5 gallons of distilled water, and some yeast nutrient.

I have no fermenting buckets or carboys, no yeast, hardly any sugars, no airlocks, no siphon tubing, and no hydrometer, no thermometer, and no way to keep brews secret from my wife lol.

And advice on purchases for the near future would be apreciated

Okay here's your shopping list braddah:
Mandatory:
Open mouth bubbler (aim for a bit bigger than your mix size)(your brew pot will be great for mixing but not for smaller open ferment batches)
Carboys of various sizes. I started with 2 one gallon carboys. Now I have 6 one gallon carboys and two 3 gallon carboys.
Simple 3 piece airlock s with drilled stoppers. Make sure your stopper fits the carboys, usually says what they fit when you purchase.
5' siphon tube. I siphon old school.
Fine mesh bag to use as a siphon strain
Hydrometer
Digital probe thermometer
Purchase yeast as you go, unless you decide to take storing and banking yeasts.
Last but not least, I recommend "The Compleat Mead Maker" by Ken Schramm and "How to Make Mead like a Viking", by Jereme Zimmerman.

Ps. I would probably replace that yeast nutrient if it is old....
Good luck to your brews! Study hard and be diligent it's a damn fun and challenging hobby! Also post your recipes for feedback and troubleshooting, it helps others learn as well!!

Those two books will cover every base you need for about 40 bucks, really great reads!

Along with the two books Skelator mentioned and a few hours research on the forums. In my Opinion this is all you need for brewing Mead. 5 Gallon Batch - (Sub smaller carboys for smaller batches)

Everything in RED is optional and just like any other Hobby err... Addiction the list could go on and on with a bunch more equipment but other than having all the "cool stuff" not really required.

• Bottling / Brewing Bucket & Lid
• Carboys
o 5.0 Gal & 6.5 gal
• Air Locks & drilled stoppers
• Long Spoon or Spatula
• Thermometer (Hand held or digital)
• Hydrometer and Test receiver
• Transfer Hoses
o Short for bottling & Long for racking
• Two cup measuring cup
• ~50 12 oz. Beer Bottles (Amber)
o 24 wine bottles