History Channel: a Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
100 years ago today Austria-Hungary declared war on Bosnia sparking World War One and the History channel is airing.... ICE ROAD TRUCKERS?!?! Probably the most fateful event in modern history and they show $&@#ing Ice road Truckers?!?!

What an outrage. Someone should be executed then fired.

Half of the channels on cable have nothing to do with their name. Seriously when was the last time MTV aired a music video?

History? HISTORY? What does that have to do with today? It isn't like we have people running around starting conflicts based on religious idealism or dictators taking power by means of populism. Oh wait a second. Nevermind, I think history could come in handy here....

Please proceed with rant.

I agree with you there. I just met a guy who works for Discovery and talked about the bull**** segmented programming and how they're making more bull**** channels because they can't fit all of their BS on one. I said the History channel disappointed frequently as it was a bit of a misnomer in my eyes. He said that's why there is the military channel. Seriously, why the ****?

In order to get serious programming I have to pay out the ******* for more channels so I get to see programming that surrounds WW1 and not some crap like ice road truckers. I do like some American Pickers though. Only the History Channel can take Hoarders and make it into a business.

I'm pretty sure Ancient Aliens covered the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

"I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry." - Private Baldrick, The Black Adder Marches Fourth.

I'm pretty sure Ancient Aliens covered the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Gravrilo Princip- Alien Assassin.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406607121.249206.jpg

It's been at least 3 months since I even bothered to turn my TV on.
Regards, GF.

Yep. Wife and I got rid of cable (still get local channels for the news) a few months ago and have no reason to look back. It's a shame too, I used to watch the History Channel all the time as a kid but it seems that it did a 180 almost overnight.
Shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars I understand to an extent...at least there's a connection to some sort of history.
Can someone tell me what the f**k people living in the bayou making a living hunting gators has to do with ANYTHING history related?

The crowd here at hbt must not represent the demographics they are going after. Because we all seem to hate reality shows. I know that I do. The attitude I see from "the world" is that we should just shuttup and watch American idol instead of worrying about world events or political events and elections in our own country and just show up enough nationally to vote based on Big R's and Big D's. Never mind ACTUAL things that matter. Just watch real housewives and be happy already!

The crowd here at hbt must not represent the demographics they are going after. Because we all seem to hate reality shows. I know that I do.

Wow, I thought I was the only one. We have a TV at work that is supposed to be for news. A lot of times it gets turned to bozo's redoing old cars, rummaging through piles of junk, it goes on and on. I don't get the interest. I know they are cheap to make, so from a business stand point I get why the networks put them out but how someone could sit intently and watch this stuff for hours on end is beyond me. That being said I have watched Pawn Stars every now and then. It is nice when they go into the history of some of the stuff they get. Dirty Jobs was ok when they showed how some people made a living. Made me glad I studied computers.

I like car restore stuff, but I HATE the fake drama they have to put into every show. Why not just make the show about the restoration process??

Let's be honest. It can't take much money to film some guys in their garage. Especially if you cut out out the script writing. Just get Mike Rowe to narrate.

Guys..... guys..... GUYS.... don't you know that "History: it's made every day"? :cross:

Everything on that channel is justified by their new $#!tty mantra.

100 years ago today Austria-Hungary declared war on Bosnia sparking World War One and the History channel is airing.... ICE ROAD TRUCKERS?!?! Probably the most fateful event in modern history and they show $&@#ing Ice road Truckers?!?!

Blame capitalism, not the History Channel. Or blame the viewers. If people didn't watch Ice Road Truckers, there would be no Ice Road Truckers.

The Ice Road Truckers shown was/is history. It's just not real old history, it was only last winter.

For what its worth, History has a 2nd channel on many lower tier cable packages called History International.
It shows the type of stuff that the main channel used to show, except the production quality is quite a bit lower.
I think some cable companies call it "H2".
I like History, so I watch it quite a bit. But yes, the new History channel is total crap.
Discover is going down the same path, except people give them a pass for the crab show.

Lol its all true all of it. Ferdinand, cooking, any kind of military significance on any given day what are we paying cable for anyway i tuned into the military channel to know about the tank that could in July 29th 1944 and instead i got some other show regarding some other idiot talking about bombs in Nigeria what has it come to what else will we lose!! "shakes fist in air" end rant

Food network is the same. Back in the 90s it had some serious chefs and cooking shows about food. Now it's contests and semi homemade crap and Susie homemaker convenience food.

The Susie homemaker shows piss me the F off.
"I'm going to show you how to do a quick easy chicken noodle soup"
Opens can of soup and dumps in pot, then dices up celery and adds it.

What I don't get is that every forum I'm on, every friend I have, and everybody at works hates all this garbage TV. I've yet to meet a person that says, "OMG, I can't wait to get home and watch the Kardashian gets a Haircut" episode.

The Susie homemaker shows piss me the F off.
"I'm going to show you how to do a quick easy chicken noodle soup"
Opens can of soup and dumps in pot, then dices up celery and adds it.

I remember a "recipe" that Paula Deen did for "authentic English Pease".

Ingredients:
1 can of peas
1 tbsp butter

Process:
heat peas on stove and add butter to taste

That was literally it. She was teaching people how to heat up a can of f***ing peas, and calling it a "recipe". She did not use fresh peas and she did not add anything to it besides a little butter. If that's not a prime example of dumbing down to suit your audience, I don't know what is. :drunk:

I find it hard to share your outrage.......... I've NEVER had a TV in my life, and consider them a complete waste of time. SHUT THE TUBE OFF AND BREW. TV's about mindless pointless entertainment. We all know about Gavarilo Princip, and Archduke Ferdinand and all the alliances that led to the "war to end all wars"......... Why would you expect anything useful, educational, or constructive from the mind control machine? Whatever "history" or "news" is on TV is so heavily biased and one sided, it's an utter waste of time.

H.W.

I'm pretty sure Sandra Lee did one for cake icing where she opened up a jar of it, added a touch of vanilla extract, and called it a day.

Of course, it can't be as bad as this
BE ADVISED, THE FOLLOWING LINK CONTAINS WEAPONS GRADE FACEPALM MATERIAL.
Link

Of course, it can't be as bad as this
BE ADVISED, THE FOLLOWING LINK CONTAINS WEAPONS GRADE FACEPALM MATERIAL.
Link

This was the single most helpful recipe I've ever seen. My ice always come out of the freezer when I put my glass in the ice/water dispensing area and press the button. I never really knew what was happening behind the mystery box that does the dispensing. I just move the selector tab thingy to ice and BAM! Ice. Makes you think... You know what though? Sometimes I choose the crushed ice instead of the cubes. Man, do I need to get a recipe for that. I mean, the cubes are great and everything, but sometimes there just isn't a substitute for crushed ice.

I find it hard to share your outrage.......... I've NEVER had a TV in my life, and consider them a complete waste of time. SHUT THE TUBE OFF AND BREW. TV's about mindless pointless entertainment. We all know about Gavarilo Princip, and Archduke Ferdinand and all the alliances that led to the "war to end all wars"......... Why would you expect anything useful, educational, or constructive from the mind control machine? Whatever "history" or "news" is on TV is so heavily biased and one sided, it's an utter waste of time.

H.W.

Oh, look. It's that guy.

I guess you haven't met my wife.

That's my wife too.

I told her I thought Kim Kardashian was just some skank and she lectured me about how the show was great and about all of Kim's accomplishments.
The only one I knew about was the sex tape.
Go figure.

Wait, someone named their kid after the band? What posers.

Exactly. Admittedly, I named my first child Pink Floyd, but that was before it was the cool thing to do.

...In retrospect, having Pink as his legal first name was not the best choice. But Franz??? C'mon.

Food network is the same. Back in the 90s it had some serious chefs and cooking shows about food. Now it's contests and semi homemade crap and Susie homemaker convenience food.

Still are serious chefs there. But yeah it's gone downhill. I really miss Good Eats. My favorite food show.

Still are serious chefs there. But yeah it's gone downhill. I really miss Good Eats. My favorite food show.

There's a whole lynch mob on HBT that wants Alton Brown's head because of the brewing episode. I worked at a coffee shop when I started watching (pre-brewing days). Alton did an espresso show and I totally lost faith in his info. I still watch on occasion, but I think he's full of sh*t about half the time.

You mean the "History" channel. ...its kind of like the "Weather" channel. They are just entertainment.

I bet half the population knows of Franz Ferdinand THE BAND but not the Archduke.

Man, they were so 10 years ago. I'd say most of the population already forgot about them.

I've long since given up on the History Channel, TLC (I remember at one point there was something about "Learning" in the title), or even the Discovery Channel. Hint to TV producers: if you need to add a bunch of fake scripted drama to a show that is supposed to be about "reality" just to make it interesting, maybe you shouldn't be making a show about it in the first place.

I know one person that gives half a crap about anything the Kardashians do, and I give her hell endlessly about it. My wife may watch some stuff that I don't care for, but I'm so thankful she never got into that trash.

Sent from my iThingy using a series of tubes.

Latest posts

Back