"Historically, what materials were used to bottle?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
A member of my brew club purchases a brew kit recently, but he found his bottling wand broken in half at the center during shipping. I suggested to link the two points with tubing and move on, but he is now curious as to what the original materials that were used "historically" when bottling came about (Brass, Copper, Glass, etc). I think he is looking to make a wand that is less likely to break while sticking to tradition.

Does anyone have any referable sources about the first materials used so that I can bring this forward to the club?

:fro:

Curious what would have been used. Depends how far back you want to look, and what region, too. I'm going to throw out my prediction that liquids were just poured.

I would think simple pouring- maybe with a funnel- is the oldest method. Its only recently become popular to have clear beer with no particulates in suspension. Up until a few decades ago nobody cared if a beer was cloudy with yeast and hops as long as it did its job.

Back