Historic Brew Ledgers- Need help deciphering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinMaster

Reaction score
I was allowed to view some historic ledgers in an effort to recreate brews from the days of yore. There are a few things that I can't quite figure out what they mean and I was wondering what you all thought. A few column headers that don't make a lot of sense to me are:

• Caramel lbs
    • Were they using caramel extract for colour in 1908 or do you think that means caramel malt?
  • BPG cwts
    • I know that cwts means hundred weight. (100 lbs in US, 112 lbs in UK) But any ideas what BPG stands for?
  • Sacch cwts, with hand written glucose
    • I assume this is simple brewing sugar
  • Malt, New and Old
    • No clue what new and old malt means. One idea I had was new malt is the most recent crop while old was last years harvest. But in a lot of other pages they have the what I assume is stock written in the top of the old colomn, but they aren't using it. I would think if they had stock of last years harvest they would use that first.
  • Pat. malt
    • I assume this is black patent malt, however the notes written within the column make no sense to me. 4.2.3, 2.0.2, 5.3.3.
  • Ht of mash and Ht of Alm.
    • No clue
If anyone has experience with 100 year old brewing ledgers, I would greatly appreciate and help. If not, enjoy looking at some old brewing ledgers and be glad that most people write in block capitals these days.

Attachments

• archive 1.jpg
    archive 1.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 0
  • archive 2.jpg
    archive 2.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 0
If it is from a Brittish brewery, caramel probably means caramel colouring, otherwise it likeky would have been listed as "Crystal".
Sacch could be invert sugar of some kind.
What brewery are they from?
Cairnes in Drogheda, Ireland. They produced the number 1 selling ale in Ireland in their time.

BPG is brewers pressed grain, also known as partially dewatered grain.
I found that, but would they add spent grain from the last mash to a new mash? Would a brewery in the early 1900's bother with pressing grain to dewater it when they could just add 112 lbs of it if there was a benefit to adding spent grain at all.

Back