Higher ABV then target.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
So I have been making these pre-made mini mash kits from my LHBS which always tells you what ABV you should hit. I always double pitch liquid yeast and I ferment my ales at the proper temps of about 60-63. I use really good sanitation techniques and this has not been my first rodeo. I am constantly getting my homebrew at an ABV of about 1.5-2% above my target everytime. Is this something I should be worried about or should I just relax and enjoy the extra buzz.

So I have been making these pre-made mini mash kits from my LHBS which always tells you what ABV you should hit. I always double pitch liquid yeast and I ferment my ales at the proper temps of about 60-63. I use really good sanitation techniques and this has not been my first rodeo. I am constantly getting my homebrew at an ABV of about 1.5-2% above my target everytime. Is this something I should be worried about or should I just relax and enjoy the extra buzz.

To get higher abv, either your starting gravity is higher or your FG is lower. To get +2%, you would have to have a difference of .015 on the OG and FG combined.

No, getting a higher abv is not a problem, but you really should try and understand why it is happening. Maybe you got higher mash efficiency and a higher OG, and/or you used a higher attenuating yeast and got a lower FG.

Back