High temp fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelob6

Reaction score
I am still fairly new to home brewing and jumped in with both feet instead of testing the waters first. So I have a couple of questions. 1. Is it considered O.K. to wash yeast from an IPA and brew browns and vice versa? 2. on my first all grain batch I made a 10 gallon batch of brown, reused washed yeast from an extract IPA recipe. It has a funny after taste to it. Also with this batch, I had left it in the garage over night due to brewing ending at 3am. When I woke up the garage door was open and the sun was blaring it's 80 degree heat on the carboy. Is this another possible reason for the funky taste?
Yeast is wyeast 1056 first wash from IPA
Thanks

You can reuse healthy yeast from any beer. However, the yeast from very hoppy or high alcohol beers tend to be less healthy.

How old is the beer at this point? eg tasting out of a primary after 1 week, 2 weeks, a month, bottle conditioned etc.

You might just want to spring for fresh yeast until you are sure you have the rest of the process nailed down. As you see, when you have a new process, new batch size, new yeast technique, and possible temp issues........ it's hard to know for sure what went right and what went wrong.

If your fermenting in a carboy and the sun was shining on it you probably just skunked your beer. And unless your using a saison yeast the 80's is way to high and your yeast has let off some weird flavors. All you can do is wait it out and see what happens over time. Either way, you made beer.

The beer is now about 4 weeks old. just put it in bottles and kegged 5 gals of it. the ones in the bottle have a weird metalic off flavor and the one in the keg just has a taste of dirt after taste. The IPA I washed from is only a 5.5% beer. is that too high of content top be washing from?
Like I said I kind of jumped right in this hobby. I've made several extract batches, but like it was stated, change too many things at once and its hard to pin point.

So another ? is how would I test my washed yeast to see if its good? It's all white and does not have any signs of growth in it. Should I just start over with a new yeast and go from there? Thanks again

Michelob6 said:
So another ? is how would I test my washed yeast to see if its good? It's all white and does not have any signs of growth in it. Should I just start over with a new yeast and go from there? Thanks again

What yeast is it?

I am not a pro by any stretch of the imagination but, I would make a starter with your harvested yeast and keep an eye and nose out to see if there are any off smells or funky looking things in it. If money is not an issue you should just buy new yeast and not risk it. Just my 2 cents.

My guess is the sun and high temps had more to do with this than dirty washed yeast. Sure it's not ideal to reuse yeast from an IPA, but it's not as bad as an 80 degree fermentation in direct sunlight. And FWIW, washing yeast is a great part of this hobby, not just for the $ saved, but because it's fun and IME, sometimes yeasts are better after the first generation or two. Just my $.02.

Metalic is usually metal - duh, right. New brew pot or new mash equipment? Could also be old grain, but that seems unlikely.
Dirt? Not sure what you are tasting there. A you can get a little husky, harsh flavor if you mash too high or sparge too high.

I am just going to buy new yeast and start over. I just popped open the jars of yeast that I have washed and tasted the same taste as well as tickled my nose when I smelled them. I have now flushed them. as far as the taste in the bottles, a friend of mine told me they taste like they have iodine in them. seeings he works with it on a daily basis, I will believe him. I know USE STAR SAN, well the local hardware was out of it and alls they had was iodine.

Thanks for all the help

Latest posts

Back