high krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
how will I know if my starter is at high krausen?

I think I understand what high krausen is, but Im not sure if there is a trick to determining the best time to pitch a "high krausen" starter.

cheers.

If you're lucky enough to have krausen in a starter, you're at "high krausen." ;)

Don't blink, or it may be gone. Just pitch it and be happy you got to experience it. I think I've only ever gotten 4 krausens on starters I've made.

If you're lucky enough to have krausen in a starter, you're at "high krausen." ;)

Don't blink, or it may be gone. Just pitch it and be happy you got to experience it. I think I've only ever gotten 4 krausens on starters I've made.

thanks revvy...

sounds like it usually happens at around 12 hrs, correct?

I just made a starter and I'm pretty sure I pitched it at high krausen. There was a steady stream of bubbles rising to the top of the liquid and when I took it off the stir plate, the yeast didn't immediately clump at the bottom of the flask. After pitching, I had activity in an hour or two.
I was just lucky I guess. It was more than 12 hours though.

Back