High Gravity Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD3

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing my first high gravity belgian tomorrow and I am uncertain about pitching the yeast. I have the white labs liquid super high gravity yeast that is good up to 25% ABV. I will use 9# DME and 2# honey (could be ~1.090). Is the 1 vial of high gravity yeast enough? Should I wait a few days to add the extra 3# DME? Any pointers are much appreciated. Cheers!:mug:

Whoa, don't use any "super high gravity" yeast. 1.090 isn't really "high gravity." You're making beer here, not moonshine. Any and every Belgian yeast strain sold by white labs or wyeast will handle 1.090 very easily.

What you need is a lot of healthy yeast, and the strain doesn't matter so much. You'll need 4 vials without a starter, or one vial and 6L starter.

I would suggest making a run to the store before you brew or pitch. I haven't used it, but I'm reasonably sure that the flavors that super high gravity yeast puts out are not Belgian. Pick up a Belgian yeast and make a starter and I can guarantee that you will be happier with the end product. Besides, with 1.090, you're looking at ~10%, not 25%. Most yeast can handle that ABV pretty comfortably.

Back