High Gravity Grain Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
On a high gravity beer with a big grain bill, is it ok to rinse the grains more to get more of the sugars? I thought maybe an extra gallon of sparge and then boiling the wort to the right volume prior to hop addition.

need more details. if you're talking a 1.070 OG and 5 gallon batches then no. if you're talking 1.100 OG in a 5 gal batch yeah it's definitely worth it. with that much grain you can make two beers. collect an extra gallon in your first runnings and then sparge off another 4-5 gallons separately. take about a gallon of your higher gravity first runnings and add it to the second run to bump up the OG.

check out combined grist brewing.

I sparge heavy, and boil longer to get to volume a lot. It's not a problem with batch sparging. If you're fly sparging then you need to watch gravity at the end and make sure it doesn't drop below 1.020, and also keep an eye on pH at that point.

I know nothing about fly, but for batch I just make an extra thin mash and sparge about normal. You can see this in a glass of water. Keep pouring sugar in it and eventually you won't get any more dissolved. The water simply can't hold more.

need more details. if you're talking a 1.070 OG and 5 gallon batches then no. if you're talking 1.100 OG in a 5 gal batch yeah it's definitely worth it. with that much grain you can make two beers. collect an extra gallon in your first runnings and then sparge off another 4-5 gallons separately. take about a gallon of your higher gravity first runnings and add it to the second run to bump up the OG.

check out combined grist brewing.

Latest posts

Back