High Gravity beers and bottling/Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I made a Bourbon County clone and am set to bottle after 7 months of aging in the secondary. My question is this: when bottling, do you pitch new yeast or is there enough floating around to carb the bottles with the priming sugar? I've read things from add more of the original yeast, add champagne yeast and then to Danstar Cask and Bottle Conditioning Ale Yeast instead of champagne. What's everyone's thoughts? My OG was 1.130 and my SG (currently) is 1.030.

If only a few months (2 - 3 or so) I wouldn't worry about it. After 6 months or so, it still may not be an issue, but personally I'd just add some more yeast to be sure. You don't need much. I'd use something either neutral or something that matches the style and be sure it can handle whatever your ABV is.

The type of yeast depends on the ABV. I made an 18% ABV IPA with super high gravity yeast that wouldn't bottle carb. At least at 6 months in the bottle there is 0 bubbles. Just be prepared for that, usually those kinds of beers are force carbed. If the ABV is up there it could take a very long time to carb, if it ever does.

Does anybody know the limit of certain yeasts to carb
I want to brew a 13% Strong Ale but have no way to keg. Have to bottle. Is that possible.

6 months is the rule I go with. After 6 months I add some of whatever yeast I have on hand, usually just take a little off a starter. If you want to use dry, use champagne yeast (it is cheap, and will only eat the priming sugar). Just add about a quarter to half pack to the bottling bucket, and gently stir.

So the champagne yeast will eat all the corn sugar even at 13% and it won't eat additional sugars that were unfermented by first yeast?

So the champagne yeast will eat all the corn sugar even at 13% and it won't eat additional sugars that were unfermented by first yeast?

Yeah, looks like it. I was thinking of going with CBC-1 as this looks like the same concept and people seem to love it.

Back